IAC Removal Difficulties

MazdaSpeeder

:
Protege5 (5-spd)
So, I need to clean my IAC...it's a pretty straighforward job, except that I can't get the phillips head screws that secure it to the TB out. The angle is odd and that, combined with the fact that they will not budge makes me afraid I am going to strip one, and then it's all over. I'm going to hit them with PB and see if that helps, but does anyone have any ideas or advice from when they cleaned their IAC? Thanks!

Also- The service manual shows it secured with bolts rather than screws...I wish this was the case as it would be much easier!

I just replaced my throttle body with a used one, and my idle problem was solved. I didn't want to mess with those screws.

Yes you only need to remove the solenoid. Its 2 torx bit screws. I removed my strut bar for better access. I cleaned the plunger looking part, oiled the spring and sprayed cleaner down thru the hole of the valve left on the TB

I actually replaced the torx with same size phillips from my bottomless factory japanese metric bolt/nut bin. Bout time to be cleaning iac and the egr again. Will probably do that next week while I'm off and doing a bunch of projects on the ride. TB coolant buypass is one of those projects so while I'm there....................

what type of cleaner you use to clean this, brakleen?? oh and my TB gasket was like all ripped apart when i removed so mines sealed with rtv gasket maker or whatever its called

If you really want to take the whole thing off, use an impact driver to break those screws loose (not an impact wrench!)

yeah, don't have one of those, and if I can clean it just by removing the solenoid, I'll just do that. Path of least resistance for me.

All of that...

I may have a pic on my PB that shows where it's at... Gimme a sec.

*Edit, Here's a couple, it's the part with a black cylinder that my thumb is on in the 2nd pic.

DSC00450.jpg

DSC00456.jpg

Last edited:
Finally did this...got a proper socket to hold the torx bits and was able to break the two screws loose with no problem. Actually, I was about to break the phillips screws that hold the whole IAC in place too, but I decided just to clean the solenoid.

It was definitely dirty, but some Brakleen on a paper towel and it was all taken care of. My idle is still rough, but better. All in all it wasn't a bad job. Replaced my coked-up EGR with a used but cleaned one as well.

Back