HOW TO: Replace Valve Cover Gasket

These are before and after photos I am uploading on behalf of Throsorator.

BEFORE
MAZDA-OLD-VC.jpg

AFTER
MZDA-V-CVR-1-A.jpg

Very well done IMO
Great job man!!

i followed your diy, Thanks!

I heard some controversial things o Seafom..ie. eating gaskets and what not.. Idk i might, not sure..

Anyways, I've done some work: using this DIY

Changed the Spark Plugs w NGK's
Changed the Ignition wires (2)
Changed the Coil packs (2)
NEW Valve Cover Gasket + RVT

PICS: This is why I decided to change the gasket:
20110105123006.jpg

20110119153645.jpg

I used some help :p (being my 1st time taking it apart)
20110119153709.jpg

20110119153651.jpg

20110119154004.jpg

seal seemed fine tho? but already had a new 1 so i installed it! (the guy from the DIY had the same experience, found it a lil funny)

looks ok
20110119154013.jpg

20110119153714.jpg

Letting it sit for a bit longer, then starting it up later tonight to test it all out: wish me luck!

Oh, and il get some pics of it finished...

Comments welcome../

BTW, i never did update a new picture.. but no leaks anymore! ive been driving it 6 days now and no probs, clean!

heres my work in order..updated pics as of now also

ANYWAYS HERES THE PICS IVE BEEN 2 LAZY TO PUT UP..FROM THE FINISHED VALVE COVER + RVT JOB

BEFORE :
20110105123001.jpg

20110105123006.jpg

DURING:
20110119153645.jpg

20110119154013.jpg

AFTER:
aftergasketreplacement2.jpg

aftergasketreplacement.jpg

And no leaks !

Well I bought a new gasket also..but the old 1 was in perfect condition..so instead of doing the job twice,I did it right the first time..w the new gasket and rvt..so it doesn't have any problems..besides, there's nothing against using it. Its better to have it..IMO

In the 3rd picture, is the left most electrical connection you referring to the camshaft position sensor? If so, do you know if it is 2 or 3 pronged?

I need help. I changed the gasket and didn't put the sealant on so a lot of oil leaked into the timing belt section and down to the floor. I took it apart again, cleaned it all up and added Permatex Gasket sealant to the areas you pointed out. After I put it all together, I waited for a while before starting the engine to allow the sealant to dry. Once I started it, oil was leaking again. I let it run thinking it might be the residue oil from the previous leakage but it never stops. I measured the oil with the dipstick and the level didn't seem to vary. My question is, is the bottom cover of the timing belt (the metal part, not the plastic part) completely sealed? I ask this because it would make sense if it is sealed and I have a bunch of oil just sitting down there and it leaks as the timing belt rotates. If this is not sealed, then it means the engine is still leaking oil through the gasket. The weird thing is that there is no leakage around any side of the engine, everything is clean, so it has to be through the timing belt. Please help me with anything. Thanks.

I cant give you any "for sure" advice, but your idea that the belt is simply spinning the oil around in the timing cover case sounds possible. I would def. take the cover off and get as much of that oil cleaned out of there ... oil in that area is not good.

I will try to do that tomorrow, didn't have time today. Do I need to remove any belt (PS, A/C, Alternator) to remove the timing cover? Also, how long did you wait after installing the new gasket till you turned your engine on. I waited around 1 hour or so, maybe more time needs to be allowed for the sealant to dry?

I would like to remove the cover to drain the oil, but I'm not sure what else I need to remove to get there. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

I didn't wait any time at all, simply got the new gasket and cover on and everything bolted back down and hooked up and then started her up. As for the cover, Im not sure what needs to come off ... service manual you tell you what you need to know in that area, If not, I should be messin around with the car later in the week I can take a look and tell ya what it looks like you gotta do to get it off

OK, sounds good. I will still try and do something tomorrow....it sucks not having my car! Be sure and let me know if you find out anything though. Thanks again.

Back