HOW TO: Replace Valve Cover Gasket

Bumping an old thread but just wanted to say thanks for posting this ages ago. I found it via Google search and for someone who normally doesn't prefer to work on his own car after reading your instruction I decided to give it a shot.

I ordered up a FEL-PRO gasket (which also came with new sleeves for all the hardware) Part # VS50574R from Rock Auto. A job that probably takes some of you a half hour took me an hour and a half but was satisfying to do and even factoring in my cost of time I think I beat the 225 dollar estimate I was quoted the last time I got an oil change and they had recommended it due to the oil that was starting to seep.

Thanks again!

This is a job that I need to do also, and found this post. Very easy to follow write up. Thanks in advance. I plan on tackling this project next week. I looked up this part at RockAuto and see that it comes with grommets. Did I miss something? I didn't see it mentioned in the write up. Do I need them?

any brand you guys recommend ? most local shop sell beck arnley fel pro and mr. gasket. instead OEM.

or should i order OEM from dealer? whats the OEM part# for MSP?

are they the same for 99-03.5 ?

Im my case it didn't really matter...I did JDM cams in 2003 from CS, and used a brand new gasket from the dealer...I tried to be pretty precise with the torque and everything, but it developed a small leak on the front in about 1.5 years...I then just popped the cover off and used a little head cover rtv sealant with the same gasket...never had a problem again...

I just did twiggy's at the beginning of the year...and used RTV with an aftermarket gasket included with a water pump/timing belt/tensioner kit thing from pro-parts...not sure if the gasket was OE or not, it was goofy name and made in Japan, but can't recall if it was the same as the dealership item...in either case, with a thin bead of rtv, no problems at all...

Is the PCV valve meant to just sit in the hole? It seems to me like mine isn't as tight after a VC gasket job but I never checked it before.

That's the thing that plugs into the middle of the valve cover in OP's step after the plugs and coil packs.

This was a big help. I knew I could do this if I could find a link just like this one.Thank you Sleezer1533. I purchased my parts at Lee Johnson Mazda in Kirkland, WA. A really cool guy at the parts department suggested I also change the Washer Gaskets at the same time. It wasn't too much more so why not. I have a 2002 Protege P5. DOHC 1.6 Valve. The washer gasket part# KL01-10-243A. Package has 9 short washer gaskets with sleeves and 2 longer washer gaskets with sleeves. The Valve gasket part# FSD7-10-235. I also picked up Dow Corning 732 Multi-purpose RTV Sealant. You mentioned 4 spots for the RTV Sealant but after removal I could see old sealant in 6 spots. Two more on the outside corners where the timing belt cover ends on each side. I started at 10 am and was finished by 2. I used a 5 gallon bucket that fit the Valve cover inside. I than used a old paint brush and engine cleaner to dissolve the oil. The bucket helped in containing the cleaning solvent for easy disposal. Another great Thread is on changing the spark-plugs. Once you figure out on how to get the spark plug wires to snap on real good (only two of the four) your good to go. Anyway thanks again.

Last edited:
Newby owner of a 1998 626 that needs a VC gasket. Is it possible to use just RTV, like "The Right Stuff" gasket maker, instead of using a preformed gasket? I know I can use this on my Chevy Blazer, but the Mazda has a much different engine. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

DSCI0655.jpg

Completely off topic but the picture has an arrow right where I need. What does the wire in the top left arrow go to? The wire just ripped out on my car and the engine cut off. Is that to the alternator?

You really dont need too,unless the surface is warped,the gasket should suffice.But if you do,maybe just in the corners
Just remember you will have a bigger mess to clean off next time and possibly adding to much you can have bits fall into the engine
Just torque it down correctly and it should be fine w/o
I've also heard if you do,use O2 safe RTV

Last edited:
Back