Anyone Have A Good Transaxle Removal Guide?

I'm reading through the service manual, trying to figure out if I can change a clutch on my own. My favorite step is #2: removing the transaxle. That one innocent step has me going through over 20 pages of documentation scattered throughout the manual. I'm grateful that it's so detailed but I have a feeling I don't have to actually remove all the stuff it says I have to in order to get the job done.

I'd like to know if someone has a link to a more concise guide that only lists the essential steps.

Awesome, I knew something like this existed!

BTW, I've been following your progress in the two threads you've got going, I hope all goes well :D

Thanks! Moral of the story is to check your oil regularly- even if your car doesn't appear to consume oil... I seriously lucked out with only one connecting rod bearing destroyed. The crankshaft journal is still in good shape, and isn't out of round. I don't have any way to check the wrist pins, so I'm hoping they are fine. Going to check the main bearings as well before putting it all back together. But yeah, looks like it could have been a LOT worse!

http://www.powerlibrary.net/Remote/Remote.asp?ID=meadville

then enter this password... pl2494xxxxxxxx
then go to auto repair

Thanks!

Thanks! Moral of the story is to check your oil regularly- even if your car doesn't appear to consume oil... I seriously lucked out with only one connecting rod bearing destroyed. The crankshaft journal is still in good shape, and isn't out of round. I don't have any way to check the wrist pins, so I'm hoping they are fine. Going to check the main bearings as well before putting it all back together. But yeah, looks like it could have been a LOT worse!

I'm quite paranoid about checking my oil, even though I've never had oil go missing. Did that bearing start making noise, or did you take apart the engine as a precaution?

Thanks!

I'm quite paranoid about checking my oil, even though I've never had oil go missing. Did that bearing start making noise, or did you take apart the engine as a precaution?

It was knocking above 2300rpm. It was crazy hard to diagnose though because 1) I've never heard an engine knock, and 2) it sounded a lot more like a "rattle" than a knock. It was a very hollow, metallic rattle. I bought a mechanic's stethoscope and started probing around. As best I could tell, the noise was in the block. I don't trust auto repair shops at all, but to get a second opinion, I took it to a Ferrari/Lambo/Austin Martin repair shop (no joke- there's one right down the street!) and that guy told me he thought it was in the head. Wanted $1200 to rebuild the head. I thought he was full of s*** so I decided to tackle the bottom end myself. I was happy to confirm my own findings! :)

It was knocking above 2300rpm. It was crazy hard to diagnose though because 1) I've never heard an engine knock, and 2) it sounded a lot more like a "rattle" than a knock. It was a very hollow, metallic rattle. I bought a mechanic's stethoscope and started probing around. As best I could tell, the noise was in the block. I don't trust auto repair shops at all, but to get a second opinion, I took it to a Ferrari/Lambo/Austin Martin repair shop (no joke- there's one right down the street!) and that guy told me he thought it was in the head. Wanted $1200 to rebuild the head. I thought he was full of s*** so I decided to tackle the bottom end myself. I was happy to confirm my own findings! :)

Damn, good for you man. I hate not being able to identify some of the random noises my car makes. They can't all be because of rusty heat shields! :p

Back