CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Main Bearing Support Plate- removal help

Mazda Protege5

Question Main Bearing Support Plate- removal help

This seems obvious, but I'd rather be safe than sorry- having my crankshaft fall out on my head... You can remove the MBSP with the engine still in the car, correct? It is a support plate, but it doesn't hold the main bearings themselves; so the crank should still be held in with it's own bolts, right?

'03 P5 FSDE

Last edited by wildo; 06-19-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Mazda Protege5

Geez... How can RTV hold this well!? Any suggestions for getting this off the block??

"Amigo del Wraith"
    Donated: $5

The crank will not fall off. There are main caps that hold it on under the Support Plate. There are some bolts in the middle and those two hidden by the transmission. Came off really easy for my donor block.

Mazda Protege5

Did you use the SST, or just a screwdriver?

Mazda Protege5

AGGGGGGHHHHH!!! I'm pretty shit out of luck right now. I was able to cut the RTV on the front side of the engine, but I can't get to the back. And this thing is not budging! So even if I put it all back together, I'd be squirting oil out the front seam. Damn it, how can it be so hard to get this off?? I must be missing a bolt, but I don't see one anywhere!

Mazda Protege5

Wait... what is the word "bolt" indicating here?

That location is the bottom of the transmission. Are there two bolts literally inside the tranny??

Mazda Protege5

FINALLY, after MUCH searching, I found a pic. Looks like if I can just separate the tranny a bit, I might be able to get to these bolts. FUCK YOU mazda for doing this...

Silver '02 P5

I don't know if you got it off yet. But I drilled two holes in the transmission bell housing to get to those bolts. Use a 1/4 drive and the thinnest 10mm socket I could find. Here's a pic:
    Sliver '02 P5 RETIRED (Hurricane Sandy)

Mazda Protege5

Interesting! No, I haven't got it out yet. No issues with aluminum shavings in the bell housing? And I take it you used those "pegs" there as guides?

...I'm in the process of pulling the tranny. This would sure save a shit ton of time...

Mazda Protege5

I have no idea how you accomplished that. The flywheel is in the way. Even in your pics, you can see the flywheel... Crap!

MSP and RX-7

Quote Originally Posted by wildo View Post
    I have no idea how you accomplished that. The flywheel is in the way. Even in your pics, you can see the flywheel... Crap!
    If you look at the flywheel, there are slots that are grooved into it, so that when aligned vertically they give you access to the two bolts. You need to use the starter to turn it slightly until they line up.

Two ways of accessing them, pry the trans case a little (longer but better way) or drill two holes in the trans bellhousing (faster but not recommended way)

Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Focus View Post
    If you look at the flywheel, there are slots that are grooved into it, so that when aligned vertically they give you access to the two bolts. You need to use the starter to turn it slightly until they line up.

Two ways of accessing them, pry the trans case a little (longer but better way) or drill two holes in the trans bellhousing (faster but not recommended way)
    Well, I *just* finished getting the trans unbolted and moved over (after drilling the holes, but not realizing about the half moon access notches in the flywheel. Shit... haha- there's a massive waste of time. It sure would have been nice of Mazda to document, you know, any of this in the service manual.

But I digress... Looks like (hopefully) smooth sailing from here. Thanks guys!

Mazda Protege5

Because someone else will eventually want to do this, here's a pic for reference:
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Amigo del Wraith"
    Donated: $5

Yea Mazda's way of making things harder LOL. Yea I was trying to tell you about the two bolts hidden by the trans/flywheel in my first post. Should have included a picture as reference.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Mazda Protege5

After dealing with it once, your first post makes perfect sense. Hind sight's 20/20. I guess it was a fun learning experience (or maybe not) haha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast