Auto trans with trans cooler?

Total cost is less than $75. I'd install it before mid-summer. Heat is the worst thing for an automatic transmission.

I have one installed. Stock auto trans cooler is the biggest joke ever.

I agree and disagree with your post Fish. For those who have a turbo'd auto sport shift they need it because of the increase in temperature due to added HP. On a stock auto it is a joke because there is no use for it.

Very true. However the cooler will definitely not hurt. Especially if the person has plans to mod the car. NA or FI. I just spent a couple hours in the Appalachians going up and down them and I can say that I'm EXTREMELY happy that I have a trans cooler installed.

I agree and disagree with your post Fish. For those who have a turbo'd auto sport shift they need it because of the increase in temperature due to added HP. On a stock auto it is a joke because there is no use for it.

So... what your saying is cooler trans fluid temps are a joke on a stock car... am I reading that correctly?

I think what he is saying is that on a stock car you prolly arent driving in a way that will cause trans fluid temps to rise and therefore dont really need a cooler, but if you drive your auto trans hard, or with performance boosting mods, then it is a good idea. I believe this sums it up, correct?

I think what he is saying is that on a stock car you prolly arent driving in a way that will cause trans fluid temps to rise and therefore dont really need a cooler, but if you drive your auto trans hard, or with performance boosting mods, then it is a good idea. I believe this sums it up, correct?

I've always understood that high trans temps are the leading failure in auto trans and that by adding a trans cooler even on a stock car prolongs life of the trans. Now if I have been missinformed someone please correct me on this. So by that reasoning its not pointless/useless to my understandings at least. I just wanted to hear that persons side of things.

Yea I dont think he will deny that a trans cooler is better than no trans cooler, I think he was just saying that that higher performing engines/transmitions will see a greater benefit that a stock car

Yea I dont think he will deny that a trans cooler is better than no trans cooler, I think he was just saying that that higher performing engines/transmitions will see a greater benefit that a stock car

Well I think it goes through the rad on an auto car for two reasons. 1) being to lower trans temps vs no cooler and 2) to help bring it up to operating temps due to the coolant going through the rad a the same time.

I do see your and his point in that statement. Its just when I first read it, that it almost sounded like its a initallly joke all together is all.

Interesting theory. But why does every single automatic come equipped with a transmission cooler- anything from a 3 cylinder Geo Metro to a V10 Ford Super Duty?

The answer is simple- heat is the number 1 killer of automatic transmissions.

I used to have a 1991 626 4 cylinder with an automatic. While driving through Missouri in the middle of July in 105 degree weather, my coolant thermostat failed. While cruising at 75 mph with the AC blasting, the engine temp rose. Since the transmission cooler was integrated into the radiator, the transmission temp also rose. When I noticed the temp needle rising, I pulled over. What I found was the left side of my car was covered in transmission fluid because it was boiling out of the dipstick hole on the transmission, dripping down onto the axle and being spun radially outwards and down the side of the car.

With my aux cooler installed (on my Protege) and bypassing the factory cooler, I still see temps of 210 degrees at the output of the transmission (about 150 at the drain plug). This is normal driving on a basically stock car (most of what is in my sig has been uninstalled and sold). Without a cooler installed at all..... who knows what the temps would be, but I can guarantee you that they would exceed the temp range for the ATF.

If you'd like to experiment with that, be my guest. I got a $2000 lesson in transmission coolers when I had that stupid transmission rebuilt (shoulda never had that damn thing rebuilt...........).

Report back with your findings. Or hell, google and provide some links that support your case.

what is the TEMP range for the auto trans.

Installed a tranny cooler.... and ran the car on the dyno and pushed it hard and the O/D light was flashing.

We checked the temp at the lines and they were close to 70 degrees celcuis roughly 157 faherinhiet.

Need feedback please

oh ya the car is supercharged

Back