Project - Rum Runner

Yeah this will be the rebirth of the 1.6 bros. I am going to get my baby back up and running too. I also have been neglecting the forum. But mainly just because of time. But glad to see you haven't given up on it.

I6GQXj4.jpg

The Protege is running. It feels good to drive it around. (cabpatch) I got so excited I even installed some parts that have been on a shelf for about 5yrs.

Finally got my Mazdaspeed gauges on,

hnohhi3.jpg

my 3 spoke steering wheel,
BWLkIAO.jpg

and my intermittent wiper switch.

XPqBj1Z.jpg

I still need to get it road legal so I need to find a replacement ballast for one of the headlights, then get it inspected and registered. After that I need to re-do the oil pan gasket, rear spoiler gasket (leaks into the trunk) and start looking at replacement axles as I thought I heard them starting to pop.

I'm hoping to make ATB in Sept in DFW.

I've been fighting a P0401 code for a good while that prevented me from registering my car. I replaced the EGR valve but that didn't fix it. After much research I figured that the port within the intake manifold, that leads to the EGR, was clogged so I decided to clean it out.

The throttle body didn't look too bad but cleaned it regardless.

SAvz7kH.jpg

The intake manifold though, looked filthy. I didn't make time to clean it out as I'd rather take it off to clean it but you can see the port I needed to clean outlined in red.

vRv7ZJu.jpg

The deposits you see in there are about 180,000 miles worth but I'm still going to look into a catch can. Even after I cleaned out this port I still had the P0401 code. After a lot of head scratching and more research I realized that the EGR plate was the cause of my issues. I've rationalized that when I put on the block off plate years ago, it didn't seal properly thereby letting a small amount of air through. Enough so that the EGR valve could still read something. Many years and miles later the port was truly sealed with a lot of carbon deposits. I forgot to take one showing all the deposits in there but this is one after I removed the big chunk blocking the hole.

Xh3dHDY.jpg

If you're fighting a "low flow" EGR code and you have a block off plate, this might be the source of your struggles. Now I need to go find me a stock EGR pipe so I can cut it down to size and install a filter on it so the EGR valve can function properly.

I've been fighting a P0401 code for a good while that prevented me from registering my car. I replaced the EGR valve but that didn't fix it. After much research I figured that the port within the intake manifold, that leads to the EGR, was clogged so I decided to clean it out.

The throttle body didn't look too bad but cleaned it regardless.

SAvz7kH.jpg

The intake manifold though, looked filthy. I didn't make time to clean it out as I'd rather take it off to clean it but you can see the port I needed to clean outlined in red.

vRv7ZJu.jpg

The deposits you see in there are about 180,000 miles worth but I'm still going to look into a catch can. Even after I cleaned out this port I still had the P0401 code. After a lot of head scratching and more research I realized that the EGR plate was the cause of my issues. I've rationalized that when I put on the block off plate years ago, it didn't seal properly thereby letting a small amount of air through. Enough so that the EGR valve could still read something. Many years and miles later the port was truly sealed with a lot of carbon deposits. I forgot to take one showing all the deposits in there but this is one after I removed the big chunk blocking the hole.

Xh3dHDY.jpg

If you're fighting a "low flow" EGR code and you have a block off plate, this might be the source of your struggles. Now I need to go find me a stock EGR pipe so I can cut it down to size and install a filter on it so the EGR valve can function properly.

Well glad to see someones working on their baby

Trying brother. Need to pick me up a reliable daily so I can work on the Protege more.

Back