exhaust manifold stud/bolts confusion... what did you buy? need fast answer...

so i thought the exhaust mani was 10 studs, m8 x 1.25 x 38mm.
i call the dealer, he says NA and turbo are all 8 bolts and two studs.

what the heck...? can anyone whos replaced their exhaust mani with non-ARP stuff comment? what did you buy and where? i need to get this stuff ordered ASAP so its here for next friday...

Lol! You are correct not them, I got m8x1.25x38mm for my steedspeed, I think they are thinking of the INTAKE mani, not Exhaust mani hahah

Photo0390.jpg

you can see 2 studs, and the rest are bolts, if your buying stock then thats how it is, if you are buying ARP then they are all m8x1.25 studs

Arp, all mine are studs/bolts, taking them out (to remove mani) some came completly out whilt just the nut on some.

dont think im gonna switch to ARP. if i was changing the mani again down the road i would think about it, but if i change the wagner t3 mani then i have to redo the downpipe im getting.
ill have to consider staying with bolts instead of going to studs. does the dealer sell loose nuts for the studs? is there any reason at all to change to studs?

is there a particular reason you are going to the dealer for this stuff? you can just go to lowes for the studs and nuts if you wanted too, thats where i got the nuts for my CS downpipe and the bolts and nuts for my turbo to mani

id like to get the highest grade steel possible (well within reason), im pretty anal about these kind of things. do you have a part number for the ones at lowes? was it just threaded rod or full studs (with a shank and such)

ahh no, i dont have the part number, but they were studs, if you go there to the hardware section, you can pretty much find anything your looking for
dealer would be easier but its probably alot more expensive

Ace Hardware has those high grade studs. They sell them for about $1 each. They are located in the automotive section of all the nuts and bolts.

Last edited:
Grade 8 is what you are looking for. I don't know of a hardware store that doesn't carry grade 8 hardware.

bought mine at ACE they were less then a buck for each though, They replaced the turbo to DP ones with these which are the same thing.
I'm actually considering switching my bolts on the exhaust mani to the black allen wrench type. I've had a hell of a time getting a socket onto the lower middle ones even with the angle adapter and ended up having to buy flare nut metric wrenches
I'm thinking I'll have better luck with the allen wrenches. Unless the Thunder has more room to work with??
ctaa850.jpg

Grade 8 is what you are looking for. I don't know of a hardware store that doesn't carry grade 8 hardware.
yes, but these are metric, and are usually rated by someone other than the SAE... whether its ISO, ASTM, etc... B7 and Class 10.9 are similar metric standards.

i also dont have an OEM stud off the car to go in and compare... i saw some studs (class 5 equivalent) on mcmaster, but the amount of thread going into the block is ~30% less than ARP. ill try ACE or lowes, but i dont like to use high strength stuff thats never been rated... i saw something that was called "high strength studs" on a website that were in-house rated to 60,000 psi... which is a total joke next to the 150k of grade 8.

if anyone can find a part number match on the lowes wesite... anything...?

just go to autozone, they have exhuast manifold studs there. m8 x 1.25 x 38mm

Take that to lowes/home depot/ace and get more...lol

i will probably end up getting two generic studs, but i just ordered class 10 bolts and lockwashers to replace the OEM ones. i dont think they make M8 studs in class 10 or class 12... just class 8.8 - OEM grade 5 quality.
i'll check autozone for the studs, i havent been down there yet... but i can damn near guarantee they dont have the studs in grade 8.

anyways, i should have extra bolts, and if so theyll be in the FS section.

or you could throw them in the box......ahahhaahahah jk jk

the ones that I picked up for the headers were only grade5....But i wont be using them because ill be getting the ones from Mazdaspeed (oem)

Back