Door Lock Actuator Replacement (Not sure if this the right are for the topic...)

I have a 2000 Protege, and the passenger side rear door lock actuator no longer works (I think the driver side rear door is about to go, too (sad1) ). I relatively know how to remove the door panel and have read several PDFs on it, but I haven't found anything on removing the inner plastic to actually get to the actuator. I found a site to order it from, but are there any tricks to removing the plastic and replacing the actuator that I need to know before I go tearing in there? I have NO idea what I'm doing, just thought I could do it myself. It's been broken about a year or so, but I want to fix it now because I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket alarm installed. A remote to unlock/lock the doors is pretty useless if a door (or two, as the case may be in a month or so...) if it does not do its job!

Thank you!

I have a 2000 Protege, and the passenger side rear door lock actuator no longer works (I think the driver side rear door is about to go, too (sad1) ). I relatively know how to remove the door panel and have read several PDFs on it, but I haven't found anything on removing the inner plastic to actually get to the actuator. I found a site to order it from, but are there any tricks to removing the plastic and replacing the actuator that I need to know before I go tearing in there? I have NO idea what I'm doing, just thought I could do it myself. It's been broken about a year or so, but I want to fix it now because I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket alarm installed. A remote to unlock/lock the doors is pretty useless if a door (or two, as the case may be in a month or so...) if it does not do its job!

Thank you!
Alright, had the same issue with the front and rear driverside doors. Buy the part from autozone, don't buy used because that defeats the purpose. All you need is a phillips and flat head screw driver and a s*** ton of patience. This is a b**** and small hands are a blessing, however a mechanic will rape you (they told me they had to replace the whole assembly in there). I didn't know s*** about cars and was able to do this. Remove the door panel and pop out the window/lock controls and lever (It helps to actuate the lever when removing or installing it). There is no "inner plastic" except the clear plastic that is held on by a bunch of nasty black gunk which will be in your hair when your done. Peel back enough of the clear plastic to gain entrance to the hole that access' the actuator. The actuator sits perched with to small screws almost back against the part of the door that latches to the body (I know these are vague directions but you'll figure it out). Un-clip the wiring to the actuator (just look at your new part to figure out which one) Reach back into the opening and CAREFULLY remove the two screws holding the little bastard in place. The idiots that designed this put the actuator BEHIND its bracket with the screws going thru the bracket, to the part, another words you can't loosen the screws and leave them partially in the part and take it out, NOOOOOOOO you gotta hold the part up and loosen them and try to catch them before they fall. A magnetic screwdriver will save ya some hassle. Anyway pull the old one out. Look at the way the actuator arm is positioned, you have to match up the new one so you don't make the mistake I did and put it in wrong and the lock won't function. This will make you wanna kick a ******* hole thru your window, don't panic though cause you got my dumb ass helping you. Now, even if you think the arm is right, you may have ****** it up when taking it out, this takes trial and error. So, here is what I did. Plug in your new actuator, hit the lock button and make sure it works. Then, put one screw in the bracket, carefully insert the new actuator behind its bracket and turn the screw in a half turn (just enough to hold it but still give it play). This is so you can mess with the actuator and confirm it is actuating in the right direction without dropping a screw or actuator in the door. With one hand holding the actuator and another hand working the arm, make sure the control arm is pushed by the actuator correctly. This takes time and is frustrating but with patience and a little luck you'll pop it into place. This is the tricky part, once its in place you have to hold it there while you tighten the screw; this is because the whole thing will turn if you tighten it without holding the actuator- knocking the fucker out of place. Then, you gotta insert the other screw and pray the second whole is lined up. Once you got that sucker in your finished, don't tighten the screws to tight as it is made of plastic. Make sure the thing works and put everything back the way you removed it. Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

Rob(laugh)

Alright, had the same issue with the front and rear driverside doors. Buy the part from autozone, don't buy used because that defeats the purpose. All you need is a phillips and flat head screw driver and a s*** ton of patience. This is a b**** and small hands are a blessing, however a mechanic will rape you (they told me they had to replace the whole assembly in there). I didn't know s*** about cars and was able to do this. Remove the door panel and pop out the window/lock controls and lever (It helps to actuate the lever when removing or installing it). There is no "inner plastic" except the clear plastic that is held on by a bunch of nasty black gunk which will be in your hair when your done. Peel back enough of the clear plastic to gain entrance to the hole that access' the actuator. The actuator sits perched with to small screws almost back against the part of the door that latches to the body (I know these are vague directions but you'll figure it out). Un-clip the wiring to the actuator (just look at your new part to figure out which one) Reach back into the opening and CAREFULLY remove the two screws holding the little bastard in place. The idiots that designed this put the actuator BEHIND its bracket with the screws going thru the bracket, to the part, another words you can't loosen the screws and leave them partially in the part and take it out, NOOOOOOOO you gotta hold the part up and loosen them and try to catch them before they fall. A magnetic screwdriver will save ya some hassle. Anyway pull the old one out. Look at the way the actuator arm is positioned, you have to match up the new one so you don't make the mistake I did and put it in wrong and the lock won't function. This will make you wanna kick a ******* hole thru your window, don't panic though cause you got my dumb ass helping you. Now, even if you think the arm is right, you may have ****** it up when taking it out, this takes trial and error. So, here is what I did. Plug in your new actuator, hit the lock button and make sure it works. Then, put one screw in the bracket, carefully insert the new actuator behind its bracket and turn the screw in a half turn (just enough to hold it but still give it play). This is so you can mess with the actuator and confirm it is actuating in the right direction without dropping a screw or actuator in the door. With one hand holding the actuator and another hand working the arm, make sure the control arm is pushed by the actuator correctly. This takes time and is frustrating but with patience and a little luck you'll pop it into place. This is the tricky part, once its in place you have to hold it there while you tighten the screw; this is because the whole thing will turn if you tighten it without holding the actuator- knocking the fucker out of place. Then, you gotta insert the other screw and pray the second whole is lined up. Once you got that sucker in your finished, don't tighten the screws to tight as it is made of plastic. Make sure the thing works and put everything back the way you removed it. Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

Rob(laugh)

Thanks! Still gotta order the part first...once it gets here I'll give it a shot! I think the driver side back door is about shot, too :(

Yeah, once one goes that usually means another is close, the gear inside the actuator is plastic; when you hit the unlock once it opens the drivers door, twice to open the rest. However it still activates the drivers door when its already up, putting stress on the plastic gear. This also happens to the rest everytime you hit the unlock like three or four times. Good luck amigo

MAN !!! This is a good thread . My passenger rear door is doing the same thing . Here lately we have just been locking and unlocking manually . Great right up Burntgamer !

The write-up was very helpful today when I had to replace the right rear door lock actuator in my 03 P5.

I might add that before you install the actuator that you reach up into the door lock mechanism and feel which way the little lever up there is oriented. Then make sure you orient the lever on the actuator the same direction. That way you can avoid the problem of it not working after you replace it.

Back