Front bumper cover replacement

drblanke

I need to replace the front bumper cover on my CX-9 due to a hit and run in the parking lot.

Dealership wants $1200. Not too bad, but I think I can probably do it for half if I do it myself (using an prepainted part from an online body shop).

Peeking through the broken plastic (trailer hitch...) it doesn't seem too difficult to remove. Apparently the front bumper cover has to come off to fix all kinds of things (lights, horn, etc), so it should be pretty easy to do?

Does anyone have any advice, tips, or technique?

Thanks

Send me a PM with an email address that accepts large image files.
I will send you pages from WorkShop manual on how to remove the front bumper.

It's quite simple. The trick is to keep track of where each fastener goes, as there are many different types. The entire front will come off around to the tires, leaving just the headlights.

Not sure you're going to get a pre-painted part though. If you find one, post where you got it, and if they sell other pre-painted parts for other crash DIYers.

It was hit and run--the guy didn't leave any insurance info.

If I make a claim it will go on my collision coverage (like I ran into something).

My insurance rates would likely go up, and over time would cost me more than the $1200-deductable.

BTW thanks Ceric--I PMed you.

Why not have insurance pay for it?

BTW the CX9 is a 2009, but I think the front bumper assembly is the same for 2007, 2008, and 2009.

Thanks again

Too bad you didn't have my tie bars installed. You would have punched him right back.

Attachments

• Front Ties.JPG
    Front Ties.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 613
It was hit and run--the guy didn't leave any insurance info.

If I make a claim it will go on my collision coverage (like I ran into something).

My insurance rates would likely go up, and over time would cost me more than the $1200-deductable.

BTW thanks Ceric--I PMed you.

Are you sure it won't be covered under your uninsured motorist? Varies by state.

My Cadillac STS was victim of parking lot hit and run. My insurance company said I could claim against my UM as long as I had a police report. Went to police substation, filled out report, faxed to insurance company, and repaired under UM. Cost me $100 deductible vs. $500 for collision.

That wouldn't work in Arizona, and probably many other states. Vehicle incidents on private property don't warrant a police report. Shame the ass wasn't man enough to take responsibility for his bonehead driving.

That wouldn't work in Arizona, and probably many other states. Vehicle incidents on private property don't warrant a police report. Shame the ass wasn't man enough to take responsibility for his bonehead driving.

My hit and run was on private property. And there wasn't a typical police report. I filled out a generic form at the substation, an officer signed it, and I faxed to USAA. Total police involvement - about 15 seconds.

They wont even do that here. They will tell you to go right to your insurance. I had a window broken out by a weed wacker while I was driving, and they wouldn't even fill out an incident report. Fortunately, the guy who did it was willing to admit it.

same here

Can i also get the removal of the front bumper service manual.

Last edited:
Can i also get the removal of the front bumper service manual.

Ooh! ooh! Me too, please! I need to replace the Front bumper reinforcement. I don't know what is involved with removing/re-installing the steel reinforcement, as well as the bumper cover, but I also need to know about the space between that and the cover itself. (uhm) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and Happy Monday!

Uninsured motorist / underinsured motorist um/uim is a boidly injury insurance coverage.
If someone hits you and runs and/or has too little and/or no insurance, varying state by state on the legal wording of how the coverage is applied,
it pays towards your medical bills and/or "paint & suffering," again depending on the laws of the state and how they are worded and applied.

um/uim has no association with vehiclular damage.

Some states do have an applicable vehicular damage coverage called "umpd" which is unisured motorist property damage.
In states such as Virginia, it is a state mandated 200.00 deductible, once the at fault driver is confirmed to be un-insured.
Meaning, insurance company has a verbal confirmation from the at fault party or written confirmation from the at fault party
advising that they have no car insurance.
At that point, umpd on your own insurance pays for your car's damage, subject to a 200.00 deductible.
Again, that is just how Virginia works.
Here in Kentucky, we have no umpd coverage.
You are just stuck with your collision coverage and deductible for a hit & run.
Your only options are to track the person down and take them to court, or in some
rare instances, your insurance company is actually able to track the person down and recover
money from them, which pretty much 99% never happens.

Are you sure it won't be covered under your uninsured motorist? Varies by state.

My Cadillac STS was victim of parking lot hit and run. My insurance company said I could claim against my UM as long as I had a police report. Went to police substation, filled out report, faxed to insurance company, and repaired under UM. Cost me $100 deductible vs. $500 for collision.

@ceric - I tried to send you a PM to request the front bumper removal info for my 2017 CX-5 as well - but it says I can't PM you?

Back