5.5 qts to fill?

First oil change today. i was surprised to see it took 5.5 quarts to fill. The Pilot I recently sold took 4.5 quarts.

Any reason why the Mazda would need an extra quart when the engine sizes are 3.5 and 3.7?

5.5 US qt is correct.
Isn't more engine oil better for the engine?
Don't know why exactly, but probably just a matter of engineering trade-off.

More oil reserve means a cleaner oil since there is less contamination per volume. (Think dropping a handful of dirt into a bathtub, vs. a swimming pool)

More oil reserve means a cleaner oil since there is less contamination per volume. (Think dropping a handful of dirt into a bathtub, vs. a swimming pool)

Ha! then why not 7 quarts?

While physically speaking this may be true, Ive never heard of this as a "reason" for higher capacities. Hopefully, Mazda doesnt need this extra quart for the reason you state and it is due to engine/oil pan design design.

I'm not saying it's the reason they added more capacity. It's simply an additional advantage. Davicho already answered the question.

Last edited:
Ha! then why not 7 quarts?

Well, my VW Touareg V10 holds 14 qts, I noticed when reading the manual the V8 holds 9.7 qts and the 3.8 ltr VR6 holds 8.5 qts of oil. All Touaregs have 2 pick up points in the oil pan for severe angles when offroading.

Oil changes at 10,000 mile intervals.

I have owned many Hondas and am amazed that even their V6s holds only 4.5 quarts of oil.

I think that 5.5 qts in our CX-9 is a happy medium. Speaking of oils, anyone using synthetic in their CX-9?

I've only been using full synthetic in my CX-9 and CX-7.

If Mazda says a "normal" change interval is 7500 miles for standard oil, (normal conditions) then using full synthetic (with proof of receipts) should avoid any warranty issues if they say 7500 miles is too long between changes (as they have on some other boards).

I've only been using full synthetic in my CX-9 and CX-7.

If Mazda says a "normal" change interval is 7500 miles for standard oil, (normal conditions) then using full synthetic (with proof of receipts) should avoid any warranty issues if they say 7500 miles is too long between changes (as they have on some other boards).

I put in Mobil 1 in the CX-9 at 5000 miles. I typically change oil every 5000 miles on all my vehicles just because its easy to remember, except for the V10, it calls for every 10,000 miles and I change the V10 at 10,000 miles. With 14 qts of synthetic for that beast, I feel safe going to the 10,000 mile interval.

Speaking of oils, anyone using synthetic in their CX-9?

I started using Mobil 1 0W20 at 8000 miles. I'm now just shy of 70K. I was changing it every 5000, but recently went to a 7500 mile OC schedule. At the most, I may have to add 1/2 quart during that time, but only because I like to see the level right at the top mark....I've never seen the level reach the ADD mark.

Although I started replacing my own oil / filter over the past 3 changes, I used to bring my oil and filter to the local Ford dealer to have it done...and sometimes my closest Mazda dealer too, but only if I was going there for another reason. If anyone else is doing that, are you finding inconsistencies with the amount of oil they use during the change?
I would always bring in my 6 quart case and the filter. Sometimes, I would find a full quart left in the case, most times nothing left, and rarely would I find a partial quart left for me by the tech - which is the only correct way since it takes 5.5 quarts.

During the last time I had the dealership perform the change for me, which happened to be the Mazda dealer, they used all 6 quarts. This time I spoke up..."What did they do with the partial quart?". The service advisor went out back to see if the tech still had the partial quart. He came back and told me that the CX-9 takes a full 6 quarts and he went on to say that the guy who worked on my car was the best that they had and "really knew his stuff'". I wanted so bad to tell him to have the tech look up the tech bulletin that states you shouldn't over-fill the crankcase and only use 5.5 quarts of oil during a change with a filter.

That was the day I decided to start doing my own changes. Funny, I now have a clean engine shroud, my dipstick is always fully inserted, and I never have any oil dripping from parts that is shouldn't.

Back