24" rims on a CX-9? Possible? Smart?

draygonia

I am looking to put 24 inch rims on my Mazda CX-9... is this possible? More importantly, is this smart? Advice and ideas appreciated. I already know that 22s will work fine.

Can I add the larger wheels and then lower it? Or is that too big for the wheelbase?

Either way, can you also recommend some LOOKALIKE chrome rims... I'm not being cheap, but I don't want someone to jack my rims, even if I do have locks I bet somebody will get a torch and just take the entire axle if he gotta... lol.

Last edited:
It is possible to fit 24" rims on a CX-9 and no it does not look bad nor does it look like a donk. Finnfour83 (Adam) has 24" black wheels on his black CX-9 and it looks very nice.

By the way if you don't know what a "donk" is, this is what it looks like:
attachment.php

Can I see what those rims look like? I was looking at getting some ELEMENT ALLOYS - E960. I wanted to get some 24" tires and rims and lower the CX-9 down a bit. Sound like a good idea?

Also, I am planning on getting the chrome pillars, chrome grille replacement, chrome mirrors and chrome port holes with a chrome body molding on each side of the car. I do like chrome, I think the shininess looks good, please don't judge me for that :(

chrome is always nice but too much chrome is a bad thing. dont listen to any of these ppl that think you shouldn't go 24's on YOUR CX-9. if you like the look go for it.

just because you put 24's on a car/truck doesn't make it a "donk". haven't you ppl seen a nicely done BMW 7 series on 24'' wheels?

When I was shopping around for wheels I thought about going with the 24's but once I saw the profile I needed to fit I decided to go with 22's. I am currently running on 265/40r22 and I am very happy with the ride and there is not much room for a bigger tire. I tried fitting a 265/45r22 tire and it did not fit.

So if you go with 24" your tire will have to be like a 265/30r24 just to make it fit. If you feel comfortable with that low a profile tire then (guitar) it.

Check out this tire calculator so you can compare fitment on the CX-9.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Let us know what you decide and post some pics when your done.

My CX-9 with 24'' Ghianna Blitz

I was shopping wheels for a long time and everyone said, "you cant fit 24's on a CX-9." I finally talked with the people at Ghianna and they said they would fit but it would be tight. They are 24x10 with a 35 offset. The tires are nitto 420s 285/35/r24 and they fit perfecty with no rubbing. I also noticed no difference in ride comfort. I have a 2010 grand touring and it still rides unbelievable. Just in my opinion, I think going with the 24's was the best idea i ever made and 22's would just be white noise. I also got rims and tires for $2600 which for this set up brand new is ridicuous! Anyway my 2 cents,hope it helps!

Attachments

• IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 6,673
  • IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 25,359
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 8,795
  • IMG_1092.JPG
    IMG_1092.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,815
  • IMG_1095.JPG
    IMG_1095.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 5,403
(yippy)(first)(yes)finnfour83, can take some front and rear pics. close up on the sidewall too. dam! sorry i was drooling on my computer, very nice indeed!!!

Looks like you're riding on big stars with little stars orbiting it with how black everything is. :) From some angles you can't even see the rubber.

One of the reasons we went with the Touring instead of the GT is b/c I did not want the 20" rims...all the reviews I've read clearly state that the 20" rims are not good for bad weather areas...I can't imagine 24" though! Holy crap, I would not go above 22"...if you really must (hope you live in a warm climate area)

Trust me, it's not fun destroying tires and cracking rims when hitting bumps. This happened so often in my BMW that came standard with 18" rims that I looked forward to winter so I could throw on my 16"!

... is this possible? More importantly, is this smart? Advice and ideas appreciated.

Clearly possible. Probably not smart. It will hurt your braking ability and traction, increase brake and tire wear, and increase stress on your shocks/suspension/steering. Probably none of these effects will be immediately noticable, but they will be there.

This article is a pretty good summary of the effects of switching to wheels that are too big and how to go about upgrading safely: The Danger of Dubs

anybody else have pics with 24's or 22's on them? I haven't seen many CX-9's with aftermarket wheels. These by far are my choices when it's time to put wheels on my CX-9, just gotta decide whether to put 24's or 22's but most likely gonna be 22's.

R10-Black.png

R5.jpg

Back