Need help diagnosing a sound

Didn't listen to your video but does the noise appear to becoming from the timing cover area? Bottom end issue would be apparent all the time imo, not just at a specific rpm. There have been a few issues of late with bad timing components and engine noise. Might want to have someone rev the engine while you are standing near it to see what you hear and where.

man its sound like alot msp are going through the same thing. mine started not that loud to being loud but i still run that mug. it feel like it runs better than before but i still hate that fN noise.

I'm going to drain the oil and check for metal shavings. Will try to get a better video of the sound and try and figure out exactly where it's coming from

My 03 MSP just started doing this noise as well. Watched your video clip, and my car has the same rattle at the same rate of RPMs. Have been looking around at different forums, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to rod bearing going out. Not sure how serious it is at the beginning of the signs of it, but know that as it continues it can possibly destroy the engine. Does anybody have anymore info on this?

Just an update for those of you that are hearing similar noises. We took apart the head looking for anything that could be making the sound and the head was in great shape. I had drained the oil before hand and found no metal shavings... but we ended up dropping the oil pan and there were small pieces of metal in the bottom. My mechanic checked out the bearings and all 4 rod bearings were on their way out.

The rebuild has already begun... wiseco / k1 combo..... can't wait to get her back.

good to see things are looking up for you..soon there won't be anymore MSPs with stock internals..cuz they will all be built..lol

What is your engine mileage? Shavings FTL!

Good luck with the rebuild.

Thanks! 102k miles... I really think the stock oil pan was the cause... i autox'd the MSP alot and i think the random moments of oil starvation slowly caused the bearings to wear prematurely. I know i should have got the AWR oil pan sooner, but never did. The person that owned the MSP before me did not take very good care of the car, so I am surprised that it took the mods, increased boost, and autox'ing for 60k miles.

Ok well that makes more sense, the frequent AutoXing combined with a negligent prior owner. I didn't think you had a lot of miles and know that you do take good care of the car.

If you haven't read it before you might want to read that post in the DocB section on the oiling issue and their suggested fix in addition to getting a better designed pan for the way you use the car for added peace of mind.

What exhaust mani do you have? If you have the stock manifold, did you check it for cracks?

Ok well that makes more sense, the frequent AutoXing combined with a negligent prior owner. I didn't think you had a lot of miles and know that you do take good care of the car.

If you haven't read it before you might want to read that post in the DocB section on the oiling issue and their suggested fix in addition to getting a better designed pan for the way you use the car for added peace of mind.

Yeah, I have heard about it, but i need to read up on it.... thanks for reminding me!

What exhaust mani do you have? If you have the stock manifold, did you check it for cracks?

Yeah I have the stock mani, and it has been cracked since i bought the car lol. I just refuse to pay 700-800 for a decent replacement.

Here are two pics of the bearings.... we couldnt' believe the engine wasn't making more noise than it was.

All 4 bearings look similar to this.

photo-3.jpg

photo1-2.jpg

Wow, that's quite the gouge in that first picture. Is there any material actually stuck on / melted to the journal?

Wow, that's quite the gouge in that first picture. Is there any material actually stuck on / melted to the journal?

My mechanic said that the journals didn't look nearly as bad as the bearings... the one with the gouge was definitely the worst.

Back