New water pump dead after only 25k miles?

raserx

:
2002 P5
My car has 125K miles on it and the water pump +all belts were done around 100k. Now a god-awful, ball-bearings-gone-bad noise started a few days back and it's coming right from the water pump pulley area. I removed the ac/ps belt and those units are noise free. No leaks or overheating happening, and from the noise, you'd think the water pump shaft is shot by now. Anything else I might be missing that could be in there? I had another car make the exact type of noise and it was a tensioner pulley. But we have no accessory tensioner pulley so I'm left thinking water pump.

What kind of water pump did you get? If it wasn't OEM then it's possible that it's bad already.

yeah I'd guess it's either a premature failure of a (rebuilt?) pump, OR a timing belt tensioner pulley bearing failing. If you grab the water pump pulley and try to tilt it and it moves any, it's shot.

Last edited:
I thinking it's the one of the timing belt tensioner pulleys. They were not replaced when the pump & belts were done. Ordered the parts from Rockauto.com and I'll dive on in when they arrive.

I thinking it's the one of the timing belt tensioner pulleys. They were not replaced when the pump & belts were done. Ordered the parts from Rockauto.com and I'll dive on in when they arrive.

What brand of water pump do you have?

Not sure, it was done 6 mos before I bought the car. I have the garage bill , and it says part # WP897 ,however.

That's an ASC water pump. I don't have any experience with that brand, so I can't comment on the quality.

take off the drive belts and start the car for a second and see what happens....if the noise is still there then its coming from a timing belt driven component. if it does ago then its a something coming from the drive belt components.

Just to update:

The ASC brand water pump failed catastrophically before I had a chance to change it. Lasted only 25k miles. The pulley is flopping and I lost the belt 2 blocks from my house. I bought a Gates pump, tensioner,idler & timing belt from Rockauto.com & I'l be putting them in this week. Hopefully, it'll last a bit longer. I'll try & take pics.

yeah probably a semi-defective pump. I've had a few that didn't even last that long. One thing to remember is to not over-tighten the alt/water pump belt when curing a squeal. It's tempting to really torque it and be done with it and end up overloading the bearings, esp those on the water pump. Don't ask me how I know this... If proper tension still squeals, a new belt is in order.

Back