Harmonic damper issue?

I seem to be having a shaking issue with a '01 ES. Installed a turbo last week, been driving fine, now at idle it appears that the damper is vibrating pretty and and the belts are squeaking.

My first thought was that the rubber section on the damper may have been on it's way out, but I put the car up on my lift, pulled the wheel and used a pry bar between the damper and oil pan lip and it seems solid. When the engine is revved, the vibration goes away (only at idle).

Codes being set are 660 and 300. The car will want to die once the CEL comes on, but goes away when reset, and the damper issue never subsides (thinking it's mechanical).

Any suggestions on where to look next? Does the dampers have a habit of going out in these cars?

Suppose I should have driven it a little more before diving right into the turbo (eyeballs)

Thanks,

How many miles are on the engine. I would get a new crank pulley, ilghtweight if you have a stock flywheel. If you have a light weight flywheel you should get an OE replacement. On these cars Turbo+light crank pulley+light flywheel=Zoom-Zoom-Boom.

AFAIK it's the stock flexplate on there (auto).

120k miles.

Does the stock damper/pulley normally go? I have been building engines and fabricating for a minute or two and have yet to see a damper go bad - outside some yuck trying to pull it with a gear puller...

p0660 is for one of the solenoids on the intake mani that control either the vtcs or vics butterflies also check the vac hoses and actuators they run to. p0300 is a misfire code which could be coilpacks which randomly have issues on these cars. But I'd say the second code was caused by the first issue with the butterflies.

p0660 is for one of the solenoids on the intake mani that control either the vtcs or vics butterflies also check the vac hoses and actuators they run to. p0300 is a misfire code which could be coilpacks which randomly have issues on these cars. But I'd say the second code was caused by the first issue with the butterflies.

Yeah i have read up on all this, right down to the vtcs delete etc, random misfire goes away when the codes are reset so I also have a feeling they do with each other.

What about the dampener? Do they really go bad that soon?

Just called around and can get one for $100 and it will be here in a couple days, but as a shop owner, there's nothing more I hate than throwing parts at a car, figured you guys are passionate about these and would know more than AllData, service manuals etc ;)

The elastomer they use in most modern engines is prone to premature falure I see it all the time. A wobble usually indicates excess runout caused by partial seperation or even deterioration of the pulley itself. If it wobbles I would replace it @120k it is possible it is failing one of my customers has a 99 Lexus gs300 @170k his failed. That's a toyota though...

Thanks. I'll just replace it and hope that's it.

I will get back with the results.

Now to finish up this hack-job of a swap that came in Friday night. m50b25 in an 1987 BMW e30, once I iron out what this last hacker did to the car, 190hp/250tq should feel real good in a 2600lb RWD death trap hehe :D

Back