Do I need a new rear brake caliper?

Wildfyre

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
My rotor is wearing down one a portion of it; mostly the upper 50%. The car also is starting to pulsate a bit when breaking like warped rotors. Also, my e-brake only grips half of the rear. I finally figured out why: Pulled my rear wheels off to find the passenger rear brake caliper e brake mechanism seized up (not engaged). Also, the outside brake pad was about 1mm away from the rotor. I'm guessing the caliper is gone and I need a new one?

If the e-brake mechanism is locked up, it is likely that the piston is also ready to go. I know it is expensive but, I would recommend replacing the whole caliper. As far as I know, they changed the style of the e-brake/pad adjustment system on newer calipers as to avoid that problem (someone else second this?) Be sure to liberally apply brake lube to all slider pins and replace the slider pins if available.

Also, if the caliper did seize, your rotors are probably warped and need to be machined or replaced to get rid of the wobble. Check both sides while you are at it, calipers seem to go in pairs...

Back