P0421 code on p5 help...

flyfishnc

I have a few questions about my cel light which came on a while back. I started repairing the 'issues' to rid myself of this light so I can get the mazdaratti inspected.

First, I had to replace the 'after cat' o2 sensor. Once that was replaced, there was another cel... That code said it was a vacuum leak or a fuel injector problem (P0171?). Anyway, I discovered that my air intake hose was cracked almost in half. After replacing the hose, I now have another code...the P0421.

My question is how do I know which cat to replace? I see there are two on my car; one is $300 and the other is $80... Since this thing has 120,000 miles on it I only want to spend what I have to. Any help is greatly appreciated.

it will usually be the one that is on the bottom of the exhaust manifold (300) one i believe, or you can do a o2 simulator for 5 dollars :) Go to auto zone and buy a spark plug non fouler believe it is 42002 the 18mm one, and drill it to 1/2 inch , then unplug your rear o2, put in the non fouler and then the o2 sensor, dont forget to reset the ecu. And youll never see that 0421 ever again. :)

youll need a drill , 1/2 bit, wd40 for getting bolts off, 10 mm, 21 mm and five minutes

I did the non fouler trick on my car, got rid of a p0420 code...similar to your p0421...The cat doesn't have busted off chunks...you can still see through all the substrate, but I didnt feel like putting in either a new o2 sensor or cat, or both.

So far it's been over 10,000 miles, and no 02 sensor code...although I wonder if a new front 02 sensor would help with mpg.

Oh yeah...it was a rust belt car, so getting the damn rear 02 sensor off took waaaaay longer than 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Back