'03 Proteg has a rough idle

:
'03 proteg LX
'03 Proteg has a rough idle

First post, whassup guys. My new familia is puttering once it gets warmed up. 2-5 minutes after a cold start, the engine starts going pop, pop-pop (usually in that pattern, one, followed by two consecutively, every few seconds) any time it idles. It's almost imperceptible on the tach, dropping maybe a couple dozen revs. And this never occurs while in gear, always smooth operation. Any ideas before I take it to the shop?

First post, whassup guys. My new familia is puttering once it gets warmed up. 2-5 minutes after a cold start, the engine starts going pop, pop-pop (usually in that pattern, one, followed by two consecutively, every few seconds) any time it idles. It's almost imperceptible on the tach, dropping maybe a couple dozen revs. And this never occurs while in gear, always smooth operation. Any ideas before I take it to the shop?

My guess would be vacuum lines. theres a thread around here somewhere that shows how to check for a leak in the vacuum lines with soapy water. Did you recently change anything about your engine?

I bought the car two weeks ago and it looks bone stock. I have a couple of aftermarket bolt-ons coming, but I haven't done anything save change the oil yet. I'll hunt around for that post, thanks for the tip!

If you stay around here you can find guides and how-to's on anything..... and great deals on almost all parts (stock and after-market)

Try cleaning your EGR valve, there's a thread on how to do it in the How-To section of the forums. Its a common problem among the proteges.

Back