MS3 Front Rotor/Pad Replacement How To

Can someone please point me to an existing thread that covers how to replace the front rotors and pads on an 08 MS3? I have had no luck searching. Also I downloaded the full service manual but the pdf is so huge it locks up my computer. Ill have to go through and break it down into smaller pdfs.

I found a CX9 rotor replacement thread but found that my front rotors dont have the retaining screws that the CX9 has. I am unsure whether or not that large center nut needs to come off.

Thanks for the help,

Jose

Can someone please point me to an existing thread that covers how to replace the front rotors and pads on an 08 MS3? I have had no luck searching. Also I downloaded the full service manual but the pdf is so huge it locks up my computer. Ill have to go through and break it down into smaller pdfs.

I found a CX9 rotor replacement thread but found that my front rotors dont have the retaining screws that the CX9 has. I am unsure whether or not that large center nut needs to come off.

Thanks for the help,

Jose

See attachment, split from factory manual, 4 pages dealing with front rotor and pad replacement on MS3.

Easy job.
You really only need the manual for torque specs.

Attachments

• Brakejob.pdf
    105.2 KB · Views: 2,036
I did a pad replacement yesterday. These instructions are great. But I made the mistake of trying to push in the calipers w/out the caliper tool. I would highly recommend either buying (Harbor Freight) or renting one before doing this job. It turns a bunch of frustration into a very simple job. Literally 15 minutes to do both rear pads. Easier than changing the oil...

+1 on the Harbor Freight tool. It makes the brake job go so smoothly.

I've had the Hawk HPS pads on for a few weeks now. The difference in the amount of dust on the wheels is incredible. The wheels were dirty in 2 days with the stock pads. Much cleaner with the HPS pads.

I don't even really notice brake dust on the front anymore. It really is incredible.

FYI - I've used a C-clamp for compressing the caliper piston back in for as long as I've been working on cars (20 years or so). I don't buy one-use tools unless it absolutely demands the need, then I usually just rent.

I bought the Harbor Freight tool mostly for the rear calipers. Since it was only $30 I couldn't go wrong. It works for all types of different cars and after two uses you are basically paid back.

A $4 C-clamp pays too! Have yet to run into a vehicle it didn't work on - even dual piston calipers.

Don't get me wrong, I love Harbor Freight, but $30 still seems pricey!

so you never ran into a piston that needed to be rotated and pushed in at the same time?

Never have. Mitsubishi, Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Volkswagen...

Didn't know there was such a thing as a 'threaded' caliper piston.

the rear calipers do require either the special tool or patience and needle nose plyers, it HAS to be turned while pushed otherwise its going nowhere

Yup, at least for the Mazda 3 rear brakes, the piston needs to be rotated and pushed in simultaneously due to the e-brake system.

That'll be the first for me! I have the Mz5, but they share the same components as the Mz3, so I'll know when I cross that road.

I would either borrow the tool or buy one. It turns a lot of frustration into a 20 second job. I messed around with the needlenose pliers for an hour. Then went down and borrowed the tool and did both sets of rear pads in < 10 minutes.

I need to replace my front pads and rotors. Is the harbor freight tool needed just for the rear calipers or is it useful for the front ones too? Also, I have replaced pads and rotors before, but at least six or seven years ago, so I have some questions. If I remove the brake hose, do I need to bleed the brakes after I re-install? What is a spanner?

Back