CX-9 Hidden Hitch Install with Mazda OEM wiring harness (pictures)

This site explains that the N13 harness has been replaced with the N11A harness:

MAZDA 0000-8E-N03A MAIN HARNESS KIT
(Package of 1 car part)

OLD PART # 0000-8E-N03
NEW PART # NONE
ALT. PART #NONE
SKU # 00008EN03A

http://www.carpartsestore.com/products.php?cat=LAND+ROVER&filter=0000-8E-N03A

I went to my dealer and they ordered the N13A harness for my 2010. I also found out that if you look on the front of your car, near the light relay box, you can see a tab with the designation CA26 or CA27. CA26 = 2000 lbs capability and CA27 = 3500ibs capability, Did not get/see the replacement part number on multiple Mazda Dealership sites, they all had N13A as the harness part. Now if you have the CA26 designation, then you need a jumper harness to get power to the rear in addition to the harness. My parts manager was on the phone with Mazda North Am and they told him this and sent us a sheet describing where to look and why. I discarded the paper as I did not need the jumper harness, but I wished I would have kept it to share on this forum, so I could get the part number for the jumper harness. Sorry All. :C

Last edited:
I found the CA27 designation on the top of the radiator. Good there.

I have the N13A harness coming and am thinking it is the correct version; please let me know if I am off base.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have read this whole thread and I still am not sure which is the correct harness for a 2010 (mine is 2011) CX9 AWD. Can someone (maybe Yossarian) advise us on which harness actually works.

Thanks

I have read this whole thread and I still am not sure which is the correct harness for a 2010 (mine is 2011) CX9 AWD. Can someone (maybe Yossarian) advise us on which harness actually works.

Thanks

The one pictured in the first post is the one that was ordered by my dealer for 2010/11 Cx-9s, and that is what I installed.

Last edited:

Thanks

The N13A was correct for my 2011 AWD GT. Went together easily. Don't forget to install the fuse.

Draw Tite Install

I installed the Draw Tite hitch (same as the Hidden Hitch) and Mazda wiring harness a couple of weeks ago on my 2011 CX-9 Grand Touring without much drama. As others have already noted, the following will make it go easier.

- have someone help you lift it and hold it while you thread the bolts . I did on my own but it definately would have been easier with help
- you need to alternate sides when tightening the bolts. There was about a 1/4" gap on each side that you need to "stretch" the hitch to fit tight against the frame and if you do one side first it won't work
- remove the spare tire
- I needed to use a wrench on two of the bolts becasue of interference from the spare tire winch box. Only after they were almost all the way in I was able to fit my torque ratchet and socket in the space
- you do not need to remove any side panels or the sub woofer - the other trim comes on easily and I didn't break any fasteners even after doing it a couple of times
- the plug for the harness is on the passenger side, but you need to thread it over the the drivers side to get to the grommet hole to feed it outside the vehicle
- I purchased a metal holder and 4 pin plug to make the install look a little cleaner versus just wrapping the wires around the hitch

Attachments

• DSC02095a.JPG
    DSC02095a.JPG
    913.8 KB · Views: 4,143
  • DSC02091a.JPG
    DSC02091a.JPG
    688.4 KB · Views: 1,708
Last edited:
The unit I installed called for a 7.5A fused line to the battery. I did nothing of the sort and instead tapped the 12V power outlet on the pass side compartment. For piece of mind I did install the provided 7.5A fuse after the tap to properly protect the trailer wiring circuitry. Should work fine.

I installed the Curt wiring harness (made specifically for the Mazda) and tapped the 12v power outlet as well. Although my kit came with a 10amp fuse vs the 7.5amp that yours came with. Should I switch mine out to a 7.5amp fuse? It is working fine so far with the 10 amp but have only driven it around town for 20 minutes with the trailer hooked up.

Where did you get your hitch/harness and Metal holder?

Alex

I installed the Draw Tite hitch (same as the Hidden Hitch) and Mazda wiring harness a couple of weeks ago on my 2011 CX-9 Grand Touring without much drama. As others have already noted, the following will make it go easier.

- have someone help you lift it and hold it while you thread the bolts . I did on my own but it definately would have been easier with help
- you need to alternate sides when tightening the bolts. There was about a 1/4" gap on each side that you need to "stretch" the hitch to fit tight against the frame and if you do one side first it won't work
- remove the spare tire
- I needed to use a wrench on two of the bolts becasue of interference from the spare tire winch box. Only after they were almost all the way in I was able to fit my torque ratchet and socket in the space
- you do not need to remove any side panels or the sub woofer - the other trim comes on easily and I didn't break any fasteners even after doing it a couple of times
- the plug for the harness is on the passenger side, but you need to thread it over the the drivers side to get to the grommet hole to feed it outside the vehicle
- I purchased a metal holder and 4 pin plug to make the install look a little cleaner versus just wrapping the wires around the hitch

- remove the spare tire

What wiring module did you use? The one listed in the original post?
I also would love to know where you got the metal holder.

Thanks,

-Midnigh7-

have a 2012 cx 9 gt just orderd a curt class 111 ,for 103.00 ,,does my cx9 have the wiring connector for just plug in,,,orderd one like yours today

Do you have an AWD or FWD GT? Tow Prep is included on AWD and optional on FWD. If you have Tow Prep then you have the connector for the Towing Harness. It's in the back under the storage box. All you need then is the Mazda Tow Harness Part # 0000-8E-N13A.

$103 is a great price if S&H is also included.
I know etrail.com has it for $145 incl. free shipping if you add a cap to make it $150.

Yeah $103 is a very good price and if you have an AWD, definitely get the Mazda harness.

gtxjoe,
Thanks for posting your pictures and experience, saved me a bunch of time I'm sure. I installed the draw-tite hitch with OEM wiring without any problems. I wish I would have run the wiring before bolting the hitch in place though, as it was tougher to get to external wiring. I didn't find it necessary to remove the threshold plate and I ended up installing the module under the jack like you did. It was a very simple install overall. I wedged the plug between the bumper and hitch and then used one of the supplied zip ties to hold the plug to the small metal platform on the hitch, the zip tied fits nicely in the "channel" of the OEM trailer plug. I probably won't be pulling a trailer very often, but it's nice having it available when needed, the hitch will get used more for transporting our bikes around. I paid $150 for the Draw-Tite hitch and $60 for the OEM Mazda trailer harness.

Last edited:
gtxjoe,
Thanks for posting your pictures and experience, saved me a bunch of time I'm sure. I installed the draw-tite hitch with OEM wiring without any problems. I wish I would have run the wiring before bolting the hitch in place though, as it was tougher to get to external wiring. I didn't find it necessary to remove the threshold plate and I ended up installing the module under the jack like you did. It was a very simple install overall. I wedged the plug between the bumper and hitch and then used one of the supplied zip ties to hold the plug to the small metal platform on the hitch, the zip tied fits nicely in the "channel" of the OEM trailer plug. I probably won't be pulling a trailer very often, but it's nice having it available when needed, the hitch will get used more for transporting our bikes around. I paid $150 for the Draw-Tite hitch and $60 for the OEM Mazda trailer harness.

Do you have the part number for the wiring harness?

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I have ordered a Draw-Tite hitch and have been having trouble finding the OEM Mazda harness for my 2013. I will check this out.

Back