CX-9 Hidden Hitch Install with Mazda OEM wiring harness (pictures)

I am a bit surprised you can hear a relay click in something that is buried under two panels in the very back. Since it all works, why not just wrap the module in a heavy sound deadener such as the acoustimat material they use in doors for audio systems? Maybe I am misunderstanding something.

There is no click on mine, and it shouldn't. The module is nothing more than a PCB board covered by a plastic box with wires attached. There is no mechanical parts inside it.

So it appears we have one that hears it and one that doesn't. I received the replacement harness last night and it to makes the same noise. I made an appointment with the dealer for Saturday, I'll let you know what I find out.

I am a bit surprised you can hear a relay click in something that is buried under two panels in the very back. Maybe I am misunderstanding something.

Yes you are. I needed confirmation as to whether that click is "normal" or not. I'm not just going to ignore it and potentially fry a component within my main wiring harness because of a bad ground or other issue within the vehicle itself. IMHO, I shouldn't have to listen to the click on a $36K vehicle regardless of whether it is a normal noise or not, that is unacceptable in my book.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my problem.

The noise is coming from the module. The Mazda dealer looked at it yesterday and confirmed the click. They informed me the click is in fact the relay within the black box. He said he can hear it as well, but explained that it is normal since it's a mechanical part. They had since received in a harness, so he grabbed it and plugged it in. Both of us agreed that his unit was even louder than mine. I told him that I would probably purchase the sound dampening material that Pootie Tang suggested (thank you for that suggestion) and lay it over the top of the jack compartment. I'm sure over time I won't notice it as much.

At least now I know it's functioning correctly and no longer fear it doing damage to another electrical component. Ironically, my wife couldn't hear the noise yesterday, while I could. Maybe my hearing is better than I thought, lol.....

Anyways, thanks for all the input everyone had, I appreciate it, you guys are great!

Yeah, it clicks, kinda freaked me out when I tested all the lights, but once I buttoned everything back up, I don't notice the clicking from the driver seat.

All,

Has anyone tried to install the Mazda OEM P/N 0000-8E-N11A hitch on a 2010?. I like the idea that the Class II OEM hitch is hidden more than the non-OEM brands. I would like to know if the bumper trim has to be cut/modified or replaced for the OEM solution? The pics I see on Mazda's site show a cutout.

Jim

Yup. You have to trim the bumper, but i think it has some guide lines molded on the inside...You probably have to double check to confirm.

IMHO it's more hidden from underneath the car, but it protrudes out from the bumper face and cuts the lower line of the bumper edge. I prefer the look of the aftermarket hitches that do not protrude out too far such as the Valley and Curt.

Great thread, thanks for all of the pictures.

I had my Mazda dealer install the 0000-8E-N11A hitch and wire harness a few weeks ago on my 2010 CX-9 FWD GT. Used the system for the first time this weekend and it didn't function properly. The lights are not configured correctly, so I assume wire harness problem.

After reviewing this thread, I pulled the back storage compartment and looked at the wire harness, and installed is the 0000-8E-N03A harness. The N13 was used in this post, and I think I have the wrong harness kit installed. I called the dealer today, they researched and called me back and said that no, from the info they have the N03A is correct and that maybe they wired up something wrong.

Can you wire something up wrong? Aren't these all just plug and go? Does anyone know where to find the specs of the N03A vs the N13?? I've tried searching and can't find much info.

EDIT: In addition to the above, I looked at MazdaUSA accessories and researched the options for hitch kits. According to the website, either the N13 or N13A is used with my vehicle depending on towing capacity. With mine being FWD and 2,000 lb capacity, I would need the N13A ACCORDING TO THE WEBSITE. So I called back the dealer and told them my research findings and that i really feel I have a wrong part. They transferred me to the parts manager, who very rudely said that they have documents I don't and that I was wrong, the N03A is the right part. I told him that clearly it is not, or I wouldn't be calling telling him that is is wrong. I also bought a $5 trailer light tester from TSC and clearly the wire mapping in the harness is wrong. When I told him all of this and that the website references N13 or N13A, he answer was the website must be wrong.

Are you kidding me. My lights don't work with a part that isn't listed...... so clearly the website must be wrong.

Their solution is for me to come in this Friday and they are going to look at it.

Any help here would be very very appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks!

Bill

Last edited:
you tell the parts manager you want your money back on the part and the installation cost. or call Mazda USA to complain about the rudeness of his treatment. This will give his dealership bad rating and Mazda USA will punish them. The harness itself can be purchased alone and is not expensive. If I were you, I will go back to my sales person and b**** about it and make sure his sales manager knows you are not satisfy with this outcome and will not recommend anyone you know to that dealership ever. This will get their attention and will help you in some ways.

For those interested. I just got a new Curt Hitch for the CX9 (no wiring harness) off ebay for 137.00 including shipping!!! Easy install.

Apparently the 0000-8E-N11A must be the new part or part number since it is available at mazda parts and references the 0000-8E-N13 harness ... this old numer is nowhere to be found any longer.

Great thread, thanks for all of the pictures.

I had my Mazda dealer install the 0000-8E-N11A hitch and wire harness a few weeks ago on my 2010 CX-9 FWD GT. Used the system for the first time this weekend and it didn't function properly. The lights are not configured correctly, so I assume wire harness problem.

After reviewing this thread, I pulled the back storage compartment and looked at the wire harness, and installed is the 0000-8E-N03A harness. The N13 was used in this post, and I think I have the wrong harness kit installed. I called the dealer today, they researched and called me back and said that no, from the info they have the N03A is correct and that maybe they wired up something wrong.

Can you wire something up wrong? Aren't these all just plug and go? Does anyone know where to find the specs of the N03A vs the N13?? I've tried searching and can't find much info.

EDIT: In addition to the above, I looked at MazdaUSA accessories and researched the options for hitch kits. According to the website, either the N13 or N13A is used with my vehicle depending on towing capacity. With mine being FWD and 2,000 lb capacity, I would need the N13A ACCORDING TO THE WEBSITE. So I called back the dealer and told them my research findings and that i really feel I have a wrong part. They transferred me to the parts manager, who very rudely said that they have documents I don't and that I was wrong, the N03A is the right part. I told him that clearly it is not, or I wouldn't be calling telling him that is is wrong. I also bought a $5 trailer light tester from TSC and clearly the wire mapping in the harness is wrong. When I told him all of this and that the website references N13 or N13A, he answer was the website must be wrong.

Are you kidding me. My lights don't work with a part that isn't listed...... so clearly the website must be wrong.

Their solution is for me to come in this Friday and they are going to look at it.

Any help here would be very very appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks!

Bill

Back