CX-9 Hidden Hitch Install with Mazda OEM wiring harness (pictures)

The trailer wiring harness hasn't changed for the 2013 model, it's the same as previous years.

If anybody can answer these questions, I would really appreciate it..... I have a 2012 gt awd and now that the kids are bigger and riding bikes i wanna get a hitch and rack. Will a curt class 3 hidden hitch and the Mazda OEM harness (DO I really need the harness if I'm not gonna be towing anything?? I'm just using the hitch for the bike rack.) (besides a rack of course, which I'm thinking of an allen deluxe 4 bike 2" hitch) be all I need? Thanks

Last edited:
For your purposes, no harness.
Curt is easier to install, in general.
Hidden Hitch has QC problem. In many cases, the big gap makes it difficult to install.

If you do want the harness, for 2010+ model, Mazda has pre-wiring to the cargo bay (in front of rear bumper). The harness is an easy plug-n-play.
For earlier models, you need to run wires to the battery.

Hidden Hitch has QC problem. In many cases, the big gap makes it difficult to install.

If you do want the harness, for 2010+ model, Mazda has pre-wiring to the cargo bay (in front of rear bumper). The harness is an easy plug-n-play.

Thanks for the quick response.

! question I forgot to ask...... Does the bumper need to be cut, with the Curt hitch?? Cause I don't want to cut the bumper.

Installed the Curt Hitch on my 2013 CX-9 GT AWD yesterday. Was very easy. Could do it with one person but I recommenced a helper. It is a tight fit. I removed the passenger muffler (2 bolts, 3 min job) to make it easier and to ot scratch anything up. Best price for Curt is amazon. Shipped was about $126 + tax. Picking up and installing the OEM harness tomorrow. Should be easy.

I installed my Mazda OEM harness last night. No big problem except I had to cut the grommet to get the Keyless Entry wire in. The Keyless wire was not really a problem but I had another wire with a rather large connector that would not fit through the grommet. I don't know what it was for, but it was taped to the Keyless Entry wire.

My Draw-Tite hitch goes on tonight.

I installed my Mazda OEM harness last night. No big problem except I had to cut the grommet to get the Keyless Entry wire in. The Keyless wire was not really a problem but I had another wire with a rather large connector that would not fit through the grommet. I don't know what it was for, but it was taped to the Keyless Entry wire.

My Draw-Tite hitch goes on tonight.

I had that issue as well. It took a while but I managed to get it through without cutting the grommet. Basically I used some electrical tape and wrapped it around the connector untill it looked conical. That, some soapy water and some help from the wife and it went through.

Hi gtxjoe -

The pictures of your hidden hitch install no longer load. I tried to open them in a separate window, and they still did not load. Could you either send them to me, or re-post?

Thanks,
Paul

I'm installing an oem wiring harness on a 2013 model...When trying to connect the harness I see I have two Male connectors. Upon reviewing the original images on this thread, he does too. Am I missing something here? It should be plug and play...

Anyone know how to tell if a 2013 Cx9 AWD has the 3500 capacity? I know since it's a touring and AWD it has 2500lb but I'm curious if I happen to have the full package. It was a rental that I bought CPO and I know sometimes they install the extra transmission coolers to make the car a bit more durable. Any thoughts? I can't find the CA26/27 code on top of the radiator.

Does anyone have a 2008 CX-9 and installed the Mazda OEM wiring harness? I can't tell if its compatible for my car OR I need to buy a 3rd party and run a wire to the battery (which I want to avoid). Thanks!

Installed a Hidden Hitch Class III and the Mazda OEM wiring harness on my 2009 CX-9 GT AWD today. I figured I would post pics to share.

Mazda OEM hitch harness part number is: 0000-8E-N13. $61 plus shipping at http://www.mazda-parts-dealer.com This harness should work on 2009/2010 CX-9s all AWD models and FWD GT models.

UPDATE 5/17: Mazda OEM hitch wiring harness install instructions are attached to the bottom of this post. NOTE: The instructions say the harness connector is on the driver side. I found it on the passenger side, so I installed the hitch module near the tire jack, instead of over by the driver side storage bin. (This actually made the install much easier, I only had to remove the storage compartment and the rear threshold plate)

The hitch install is easy - 6 bolts. Used a hydraulic jack to hold it in place while installing the bolts. etrailer.com has a video if people want to see the install

IMG_1753%20(Large)%20(Medium).JPG

Remove 2 plastic push nuts in the bottom of the storage tray and the whole tray comes out.
IMG_1757%20(Large)%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_1759%20(Large)%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_1762%20(Large)%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_1763%20(Large)%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_1764%20(Large)%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_1765%20(Large)%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_1766%20(Large)%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_1767%20(Large)%20(Medium).JPG

How do you connect the wire harness , It seems both connectors are same (both are female)

Back