Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CX-9 Hidden Hitch Install with Mazda OEM wiring harness (pictures)

2009 CX-9 GT AWD

CX-9 Hidden Hitch Install with Mazda OEM wiring harness (pictures)

Installed a Hidden Hitch Class III and the Mazda OEM wiring harness on my 2009 CX-9 GT AWD today. I figured I would post pics to share.

Mazda OEM hitch harness part number is: 0000-8E-N13. $61 plus shipping at http://www.mazda-parts-dealer.com This harness should work on 2009/2010 CX-9s all AWD models and FWD GT models.

UPDATE 5/17: Mazda OEM hitch wiring harness install instructions are attached to the bottom of this post. NOTE: The instructions say the harness connector is on the driver side. I found it on the passenger side, so I installed the hitch module near the tire jack, instead of over by the driver side storage bin. (This actually made the install much easier, I only had to remove the storage compartment and the rear threshold plate)

The hitch install is easy - 6 bolts. Used a hydraulic jack to hold it in place while installing the bolts. etrailer.com has a video if people want to see the install

Remove 2 plastic push nuts in the bottom of the storage tray and the whole tray comes out.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gtxjoe; 05-19-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Registered Member CX9 SportOwner's Avatar

Does the receiver have a bracket for the wiring connector, or does it dangle?

Nice to finally see where the factory connector is. Others have been asking about that.
    Last edited by CX9 SportOwner; 05-15-2010 at 10:56 PM.

2009 CX-9 GT AWD

The Hidden Hitch has a small shelf (with holes for securing the connector). I just wedged the connector between the shelf and the bumper cover. The connector has a rubber plug to protect it when not in use. You could easily tuck it up into the bumper to hide it.

The Mazda harness connector is rubber is designed to just clip into the Mazda hitch.
    Last edited by gtxjoe; 05-16-2010 at 12:24 AM.

2010 CX-9 Touring AWD, Dolphin Gray, Bose, Leather/Moonroof

Hello to all!

My wife and I just purchased a 2010 CX-9 Touring AWD at the end of March and we love it. I have been scoping out a forum that I would like and I have decided to become part of this one.

Everyone seems to get along and there are very good discussions. Having 2 Volkswagens already, buying a Mazda seemed like a leap of faith, but everyone here seems to enjoy their 9's for the most part and it's what the wife wanted, so.......

So I am just saying hello and look forward to participating .

Oh yeah, expecting my Draw-Tite Class III hitch tomorrow from etrailers.com. What a great company.

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
    Everyone seems to get along and there are very good discussions. ...
    We have our moments, too...
    Welcome to the forum.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member CX9 SportOwner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ceric View Post
    We have our moments, too...

We do? I hadn't noticed...

Zoom•Zoom

We are one big Mazda family and we have the normal disagreemets from time to time...just like any family.

Welcome mojoman!
    2012 LIQUID SILVER MAZDA5 GRAND TOURING **SOLD**
    2015 SOUL RED MAZDA CX-5 GRAND TOURING**SOLD**

Registered Member

Just install my wire harness last night. And would like to share that, certain parts of the instruction that came with it is not correct.
    1) It states the connector is on the driver side, but its on the passenger side.
    2) It tells you to remove the subwoofer and small panel above it, but its really not needed. You could to get more space to work with by removing it, but I didn't need to.
    3) It also instructs you to remove all the cargo hooks, not needed either since you won't be removing any of the panels that covers the rear tail lights.

Overall, this install is super easy compare to the after market version (which isn't hard either). I finished so fast that I went out for ice cream afterwards, lol.

Registered Member

can you post the outcome of your wire harness installation.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by gtxjoe View Post
    The Hidden Hitch has a small shelf (with holes for securing the connector). I just wedged the connector between the shelf and the bumper cover. The connector has a rubber plug to protect it when not in use. You could easily tuck it up into the bumper to hide it.

The Mazda harness connector is rubber is designed to just clip into the Mazda hitch.
    I just installed the hitch and factory harness this weekend. In looking at your pictures, I realize that I placed the harness in exactly the same spot as you and I also wedged the connector between the shelf and the bumper. The only thing I did a bit different was use a zip tie to secure the connector to the tray by routing through the mounting holes.

-DG-

2010 CX9 GT AWD

2010 Mazda CX9 GT AXD

I just joined the forum thanks to gtxjoe. I had been trying to find info everywhere re oem hitch wiring. Ordered Hidden Hitch class III from e-trailer with their wiring harness which needs to run wire up to battery. I knew their had to be any easier way. Can't believe Mazda is so vague re info on Trailer Prep Package. Thanks for your excellent post!

Thanks! Great pics. And Welcome.
    2008 CX-9 Grand Touring, White/Sand

Registered Member

trailer wiring install

Hello,
    New to the forum and I have a question regarding the wiring install on a trailer hitch: Do I need to run a wire to the battery or just plug into the harness in the passenger rear like the above photos?? I Installed a Curt class III on my 2010 CX-9 GT with towing prep package (standard on all GT). Started researching the wiring harness, called 3 separate dealers and read numerous threads online all stating I need to run a power wire directly to battery or you risk overloading the current wiring system regardless of what model CX-9 you have. The towing prep package is:

1. A heavy duty transmission oil cooler and radiator fan
    2. A revised engine control module (probably means that the computer has been programmed to be more effective when towing)
    3. And a 3,500 pound towing capacity

Nowhere is wiring harness mentioned. Please help an ignorant diy'er
    Thanks

The unit I installed called for a 7.5A fused line to the battery. I did nothing of the sort and instead tapped the 12V power outlet on the pass side compartment. For piece of mind I did install the provided 7.5A fuse after the tap to properly protect the trailer wiring circuitry. Should work fine.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Hello,

I purchased this wiring harness for my 09 GT, When I got the tray and everything else apart, I found the wiring connector had been cut away. does anyone have the mapping of the 6 wires to which pins on the connector? The harness has 6 wires red, white, green. yellow, brown and black... the mazda has a green, black, green w/white stripe, green w/yellow strip, green with black stripe and a lime green wire.

Anyone have a wire diagram or pin out, would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast