replacement speaker suggestions?

fam

:
10 Mazda5 GT AT, 10 Mazda3S GB GT 6SPD
So my 08 3S touring that I just got sounds good but not great, a lot better than my 04 did BUT I want to upgrade to sounding even better. Ideally I would love for her to sound like my mach 460 did in my 2000 mustang. I dont want to ruin my interior so whatever I do I would like it to be hidden. Any suggestions for speaker upgrades or maybe even a trunk amp combo. A few hundred bucks is what im ideally looking to spend.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Everyone and their dog will have a different opinion for you.

My suggestions depend on whether you will have an external amp or not.

If you don't have an amp: stick to the factory replacement models (those speakers advertised as drop in OEM replacements). I like Pioneer, so their G-series would be good without an amp. Maybe Inifinity reference's too. Stay away from components. General the lower priced stuff will work better without an amp.

If you do use an amp: The world is your oyster. Listen and get what you like.

FYI: I have a 2008.5 Touring hatchback. I have Pioneer D series component's up front (powered off a 75Wx4 amp) and an 8" Rockford Fosgate in the hatch. I'm really happy with the sound. Its very musically accurate and I never like to leave the car :)

You have any photos of your hatch 8"?

I dont have to be original, Im more of a fan of tried and true ;-)

So my 08 3S touring that I just got sounds good but not great, a lot better than my 04 did BUT I want to upgrade to sounding even better. Ideally I would love for her to sound like my mach 460 did in my 2000 mustang. I dont want to ruin my interior so whatever I do I would like it to be hidden. Any suggestions for speaker upgrades or maybe even a trunk amp combo. A few hundred bucks is what im ideally looking to spend.

Thanks for your suggestions.

phoenix gold made by morel, 3" VC FTW

I wouldn't replace any speakers in these cars without external amplification...It just doesn't make enough of a difference to warrant the cost...Just my .02

You have any photos of your hatch 8"?

Box is about .25 cu ft, trapezoid shape so it fits flush against the back of the seats.

Attachments

• IMG_1537 (2).jpg
    IMG_1537 (2).jpg
    184 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Box is about .25 cu ft, trapezoid shape so it fits flush against the back of the seats.

How do you have yours mounted so it doesn't move?

OP, there are some decent drop-ins for the doors if you have the non-bose system. I love the sound of the Polk MM series... I replaced the stockers in my best friend's Protege with MM571's and he's still gushing over them 5 months later.

Thanks ejh, thought you had them built into the hatch side panels or the floor. I cant use a box since my car always gets designated as "the truck" whenever we need to move things. I guess the right side compartment is my only real solution (I have the rubber cargo mat so I would think a floor mounted speaker with rubber on top would be useless?)

How do you have yours mounted so it doesn't move?

Wide strips of velcro on the bottom of the box. It doesn't move at all. I also put a small 'L' bracket on the back of the box that lines up with the tie down on the back of the seat. I can attach sometime more substantial there to secure it, but haven't had the need.

The box is very small and since its just velcro'd down, I can move it easy when I want to fill up the trunk. I carry a lot of stuff and still don't end up moving it out much. The box is pretty small, like 11x10x7 overall (although it has a slanted back so the bottom is more like 9 deep and the top is like 6 deep).

I have never been into subs in cars until I started listening to 5.1 home theatre. Now I really like what it adds to the bottom end. I can't wake the neighbors, but its not about that.

Back