Rear Parking Sensor

No, thank God

Why? Just curious.

I rented a brand new Lincoln MKS a few weeks ago, and it had reverse camera and sensors. I liked the combination of the 2 when backing, and the front sensors came in handy, especially when parking in tight spots in the parking garage.

Because looking is always better. By the time the sensors pick something up, sound the alarm, and you react, it's usually too late. .

Gotta disagree on that point. I've used a rental Flex with rear sensors. If anything it was too sensitive and picked up plants/bushes that were four feet away. Plenty of time to stop backing up unless you have it floored in reverse. I've never owned a car with back up sensors and find them a bit annoying but I'd dispute that they are ineffective.

Because looking is always better. By the time the sensors pick something up, sound the alarm, and you react, it's usually too late. Plus they are unreliable for the most important obstacles: children. Many kids have been backed over by cars with sensors. The camera lets you actually see what's back there, and react quicker.

For the front, sensors would be a nice addition, since you're already looking, and just need to know when to stop before contact. CX9s in Australia have front parking sensors.

That's assuming that people rely on nothing but the sensors. I have them in my Cadillac STS, and I still tilt my head back and look, as if the sensors weren't there. What makes the sensor handy is it will alert on stuff I can't see, plus it lets me know when I'm in a foot of something. I think coupling them with a camera is the perfect solution.

I agree, I think the sensor combine with the camera would be very helpful. What casue me to ask the question was...Two days ago when I was backing up. First I check the camera screen...nothing...turn my head to check the rear...nothing...check side mirror nothing...finally turn my head again to the rear and there it was, my wife standing there in the rear. Somehow, between all the head turning she manage to step in the path. Its probably one in a million chance that happened, but I think if it had rear parking sensors, they would have warn me long before she got there. For some reason I always thought this ute had rear sensor, and I thought they weren't working...

You know, guys.
Very soon, the 360 degree coverage of cameras will take care of that.
You can find them on Infiniti. All you need are four camera (1 front, 1 rear, 2 below side mirrors).

I do agree that ultrasound can complement visible-light camera, however, so does infrared.
This is especially true at night.

Ultrasound sensor has its disadvantages
- prone to false alarms: due to rain and snow
- can't tell difference within 1 ft.

I installed ultrasound parking sensors myself on all my vehicles except for CX9.
I know their pros and cons.

I wish my 2008 had both. The camera can get dirty driving in bad weather. Couple that with sun glare on the nav screen and you can't see a thing sometimes.

I had the rear 4 parking sensors installed about 6 months ago on the CX-9. After all, the back-up camera does not do all the work for my wife. She had a parking lot backing up accident because she does not always look the monitor. Adding the sensors does not guarantee accident-free but it’s a nice sound aiding device for her to use therefore less trouble for me. The sensors work quite well so far.

Latest posts

Back