I am old school...

My name is John and I am an addict...

...must resist the urge to turbo everything.

Intercooler...

andysturbo.jpg

Turned the cat into a turbo adapter...

andysturbo001.jpg

Mounted to the manifold, cheap junkyard turbo...

andysturbo004.jpg

Mounted...

andysturbo005.jpg

Used the junkyard oil drain and made it work...

andysturbo010.jpg

andysturbo011.jpg

Cut the bumper to clear the I/C...

andysturbo009.jpg

And the cold pipes (removed the washer fluid res)...

andysturbo007.jpg

andysturbo006.jpg

We are about 10 hrs into the project. Still have to weld the oil dran pot in the pan and get the turbo some coolant, and get the wastegate situation figured out.

Using a FMU for now to get it running/driving and find the weak spot (tranny? car has 120k miles), then the Greddy eManage is going on as well as a BOV.

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Well welcome to the forums man. That's a hell of a way to make an entrance. Weak spot isn't the tranny (which does kinda suck) but is in fact the rods. They suck. THe highest anyone has gone on the stock motor was 273 horse and that was insane. Usually you don't wanna go over 200 wheel on the stock motor. Keep us updated.

My shop is in Pompano, I live in Coral Springs.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Its hard to tell from the pictures but you might want to look into some how getting the turbo to mount slightly higher then what its currently at for risk of back flow of oil into the turbo. I forget the exact term.

Edit: Nevermind it just looks like its sitting really low.

It is low, might have to decrease the length of the adapter. We will see.

This is the 6th or 7th turbo kit I built and have made brackets to put a Powerdyne on 10 Camaro/Firebirds, among other things. In house we have powdercoating equipment, a 300amp TIG welder, huge media blaster, painting equipment, ceramic coating equipment, flow bench, cc'ing devices etc etc. I also help the CNC shop down the street by writing programs also setting the machines up to run parts, they give us access to the machinery when needed for times I need something custom made up. These are my 2nd and 3rd jobs as I also have a construction company as the main income.

I have to finish flowing some heads just ported and get them boxed up, then finish a set of headers so the three sets of those can be ceramic coated and shipped out this week, might have some time in the evening to get some more done on the Mazda.

Nice project you got going on.
What is the exhaust manifold-turbo from?
I think i've seen that HUGE core before.
Thanks for sharing and good luck finishing it.

The manifold is stock. I hacked up the catalytic converter and made it into an adapter.

The turbo is a Garrett t3, the I/C and pipes are from evilbay. I found the turbo at a junkyard, this is the first of 2 rebuilt turbos I found at that same yard, appears that someone was having problems on the cars they came from since the heads on both were also rebuilt. The t3 (used on this project) came from a Volvo and the t25 that's going on my apprentices Nissan 240 is from an old Datsun carb'd car.

I also have a twin turbo build going on for my Firebird (t04e's), but will probably take one of those turbos and put it in my '86 BMW e30 with the Saab side mount I/C (also scored at the JY). I have a huge Volvo I/C that would work on the Bimmer, but it would have to replace the condenser and I'm not giving up A/C living in FL lol. In fact to fit 2 turbos where I wanted in the 'Bird, I had to make a choice to either nix the A/C compressor or power steering unit - guess which I chose to delete? ;)

damn that intercooler is super huge lol i think thats gonna cause you lots of lag... looks good n i'm hopin to get on a dyno here soon my goal is 280whp.. but we shall see lol

Last edited:
I love the adapter, lol

Ditch the catalyst and pickup 100 hp!

Derrick

LOL thanks peeps for the kind words. I thought about bypassing the TB coolant lines to feed the turbo, but for lack of time I just tapped into them - I know, I'm missing out on .5hp by letting the coolant still go through, but I made up for tht by putting some stickers promoting my website on the cooler pipes.

update:

Got a few hours in this weekend, and might even be able to start the car tonight, or tomorrow after installing a kitchen :rofl:

This wouldn't seal on the t3 flange...

andysturbo012.jpg

So I made it work hehe...

andysturbo013.jpg

Welded the water line to go where I wanted...

andysturbo014.jpg

andysturbo015.jpg

Then after getting the WG installed I realized the actuator WON'T FIT!!! :(

So, another turbo was pirated for the actuator, and then the shaft had to be modified...

andysturbo016.jpg

andysturbo019.jpg

checking to make sure it worked...

had some an line laying around, so I bought a $2 fitting and just welded it to the oil line...

andysturbo017.jpg

tee on the sending unit...

andysturbo022.jpg

pan...

andysturbo021.jpg

and finally this is a draw-through and used some of the header inventory to make a turbo-to-maf pipe...

andysturbo018.jpg

And more update..

Moved the manifold temp sensor (looks stock to me hehe)...

andysturbo023.jpg

stickers make it go faster...

andysturbo026.jpg

and final cold pipes...

andysturbo024.jpg

I'll get some more pics up later. We just started the car with no downpipe and I hear a hairdryer w00t!

My buddy Steve snapped a pic of me welding haha...

andysturbo028.jpg

Someone said my welds were ugly, so I slowed down for one.

This is 16ga mandrel bend welded to ~1/2" thick cast iron...

andysturbo031.jpg

andysturbo032.jpg

Back