16" RX8 Wheels for winter set?

Z-Indy

:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 Black
Anybody tried the 16" OEM RX8 wheels for putting winter tires on an MS3? I've heard the wheels fit ok on MS3's. Anybody know what size tire would be best to maintain proper diameter so my speedometer isn't off much, and so everything fits right?

Thanks in advance.

do you mean the 16" rx7 fd rims? if so, i recommend using 205/60/16 snow tires with them. the fitment is perfect, and the wheels weigh 16lbs or less each (depending on whether you have the reinforced rims or not).

I believe they are 16x7.5 RX8 wheels. I was surprised they made a 16" RX8 wheel. I guess it comes on the base (cheap) model?

I did some research, and it looks like 225/55/16 tires would fit right on these wheels and give me the correct overall diameter to match what oem wheel and tire has.

These wheels have a 50 offset compared to the 55 offset on OEM MS3 wheels. Will I have any fitment issues because of that?

Any recommendations on the best winter tires?

You should be fine running these (the same wheels are my wife's summer set on her 2010 3i :))

My former Tribute wheels (16x7 +45) are now being used for winter use on a 1g MS3. Not sure what size tire the owner is running but we test fit them in my driveway and they just cleared the calipers.

Awesome. Thanks.

Got the wheels for $220 shipped. As long as they are as advertised I think that's a pretty nice deal.

I'm a sucker for a good deal. (2thumbs)

Got the wheels. I think they look pretty good and seem to be in good shape.

I was considering going with something cheap, possibly even just steel wheels, for the winter setup, but these will look much better than that.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 306
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
wow...i had no idea that they made a 16" rx8 rim. regardless, you should be just fine with them. the stock offset is 52.5mm, so 50mm works out very well.

Awesome.

I've been meaning to put one on just to make absolutely certain that everything fits right before I buy tires for them.

I wonder if I could get a better deal on snow tires if I bought them now instead of waiting until November or December.

Last edited:
Looking good and it will only take a few minutes to check fitment so....and get used to the 'non-believers' lol. Almost everyone has said the same thing 'they made 16" RX8 wheels?'.

Here they are on the wifes car with the stock 205/55's but thanks to them being 7.5" wide I'll be mounting some 225/50's in the future. :)
Blue-RX-8Wheels5.jpg

I have some snow tires f/s but you'd probably have to modify something to get them to fit. lol They are 215/65/16 and have under 700 miles on them. Bought them for the MPV and one month to the day later we traded it in for the 3. Miata.net's tire calculator puts them as 5.4% too slow and the sidewall 1.5" taller....

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll stick with the tire size that brings them to the same dimensions as the stock tire and wheel so that the speedo is correct and I don't have any fitment issues.

i run regular mazda 3 16s for my winter setup with 205/60 on dunlop graspics no tpms and i drove all through the PA winter last yr with no problems. no real speedo difference either, about 2mph slower on winters

@ z-indy

did the wheels fit fine on your MS3. do the tires rub at all. I have the same size tires on my old winter set for a 3000gt (225/55/16) and I was wondering if the tires were too tall or wide.

I ended up doing 205-60-16's instead since narrower tires are better in the snow anyways. Should fit fine (basically the same overall size as stock with that size tire, only more narrow), but I haven't actually put them on the car yet.

Back