Plastic squeak around console transmission selector

I am sure others here have this symptom. A plastic squeak that comes from the console transmission selector - sometimes. Most likely the trim plate. If I hold it and shift it around a bit, it stops for a while.

I have checked TSB's on this and nothing. Maybe this is not so common?

Any thoughts/experiences appreciated.

Pootie, I don't mean to be an ass, but do you just try to find rattles and noises on all your cars? I am anal to the max when it comes to my CX-9 or any of my vehicles, but you seem to beat me by a long shot when it comes to this rattle/noise thing.

I say living in Cali like myself, roll down your windows turn up the radio and enjoy the beautiful sunny and warm weather we have here and enjoy the ride instead of trying to listen for rattles or what not.

There are lots of posts on this issue and I think CX9SportOwner had a fix for it. It's annoying for me as well, but I just learned to turn up the radio a little louder and haven't noticed it for months.

Hah! You know if it wasn't such a quiet car and so nicely equipped to begin with, I probably would just leave it alone but it seems so silly to have one part that squeeks like that. I have gone into it with no luck. Seems like Mazda should have a fix for it. I have resisted using "dum-dum" but I might resort to it.

I was part of that first thread and will be posting back there to continue my solution seeking.

I have the same issue in my 09 touring. I finally figured out that it is coming from the driver's seatbelt locking mechanism on the lower right next to the console. It only makes the creaking sound when my seatbelt is on and going around turns. One day I was just sitting there when the car was not moving and realized that breathing in and out with my 12-pack stomach was moving the seatbelt and making the creaking noise. Taking it to the dealership soon for warranty fix along with stupid leaking moonroof when in automatic car wash places.

Now that cballa mentions it. Definately check the driver side front buckle.

From experience: on my prvious Mazda5, the buckle started to make a squeak sound out of nowhere and I also could not figure out what it was or where it was coming from until I did the very same thing as cballa (unintentionally of course) waiting in a parking lot for my wife. Nevertheless, I had to replce the buckle and problem was solved.

Also, when I bought my CX-9 last year, the front driver's side buckle was very hard to operate and it also made the squeak sound. Also replaced it and noise is gone.

Thanks! I will look into it and there is a series of factory TSB's on the buckle squeaks. But the squeak in my car can be replicated simply by moving around the selector trim so I will be going after that.

Guys who own 2010:
When I was in dealership for oil change, I sat in a 2010 CX9 and found that I was able to move the face plate of the gated shifter quite a bit. Is that common or that one I sat in just happened to be broken?

I checked my 2008 (different design) and it was tightly assembled.
Any comments from guys who own 2010?

FYI nailed it and the other overhead "light vibration" ticking.

The shifter squeak is the thin chrome trim on the inside of the shifter gate. I removed the gate and applied some sticky "dum-dum" all around joining it positively to the black gate. What I call dum-dum is a black putty for automotive rattles. I do not know what it is really called otherwise I would post it. Anyway - 100% fixed. No more of this after 2 weeks.(breakn)

The other rattle was a small wire running on the headliner over the drivers head. I removed the sunroof trim and gently pulled the headliner down. There is a wire(s) going from the front to the back of the car. Just moving it a little solved the problem.

Car is completely quiet now, as it should be. (breakn)(breakn)

I could tell the wire was barely "floating" above the headliner board and could easily make the sound I was hearing. I will likely go back in and push some dum-dum down on it as insurance.

Edit: Dum Dum is called "strip-caulk". I think 3M makes it.

Last edited:
I've had the dealer attempt to fix a banging inside the passenger door. First time, they found an actuator had fallen off the mounting. A few months later, there is still a clicking as I drive over bumps coming from the bottom of the door somewhere. I brought it for review but they could not find the problem and it persists.

Now my driver seat squeeks! As I shift or lean when turning, I hear a small sqeek coming from under the seat. I intially thought it was the break pedal or steering wheel as it happened when I was touching both, but turns out I can make the seat squeek while parked. I think its something in the springs underneath and will venture under there some time in the future.

Good luck. I understand that with some cars a few squeaks might be normal, but I think these cars should be among the best.

On the door, have someone drive to make the noise while you hold the panel and any other pieces. This will identify or eliminate the problem as trim. If not trim, then you will likely have to venture into the door yourself and drive around with someone with the door panel off to find the problem.

FYI nailed it and the other overhead "light vibration" ticking.

The shifter squeak is the thin chrome trim on the inside of the shifter gate. I removed the gate and applied some sticky "dum-dum" all around joining it positively to the black gate. What I call dum-dum is a black putty for automotive rattles. I do not know what it is really called otherwise I would post it. Anyway - 100% fixed. No more of this after 2 weeks.(breakn)

The other rattle was a small wire running on the headliner over the drivers head. I removed the sunroof trim and gently pulled the headliner down. There is a wire(s) going from the front to the back of the car. Just moving it a little solved the problem.

Car is completely quiet now, as it should be. (breakn)(breakn)

I could tell the wire was barely "floating" above the headliner board and could easily make the sound I was hearing. I will likely go back in and push some dum-dum down on it as insurance.

Edit: Dum Dum is called "strip-caulk". I think 3M makes it.

Cool! How did you remove the gate? Does it just pop off?

I've had the dealer attempt to fix a banging inside the passenger door. First time, they found an actuator had fallen off the mounting. A few months later, there is still a clicking as I drive over bumps coming from the bottom of the door somewhere. I brought it for review but they could not find the problem and it persists.

Now my driver seat squeeks! As I shift or lean when turning, I hear a small sqeek coming from under the seat. I intially thought it was the break pedal or steering wheel as it happened when I was touching both, but turns out I can make the seat squeek while parked. I think its something in the springs underneath and will venture under there some time in the future.

SeCX-9,

Try checking the seat-belt buckle. Mine used to squeak as you just described, but I knew exactly where to go because my previous Mazda5 had the same squeak the drove me nuts for months until I finally pinpointed it.

SeCX-9,

Try checking the seat-belt buckle. Mine used to squeak as you just described, but I knew exactly where to go because my previous Mazda5 had the same squeak the drove me nuts for months until I finally pinpointed it.

Davicho,

Thanks for the tip. Will look there first!

Do you have any pictures of how you took it apart and what you did? I'm getting that annoying noise as well and it's driving me nuts. I'm also getting some type of rattling noise from the back, either it's from the 2nd roll seats or cargo. There's also some type of metal rattle noise from the cargo area, sounds like metal to metal rattling.

Check that the 3rd row seat belts are secure in their holders. Also open up the cargo compartment behind the 3rd row and make sure nothing is rolling around in there.

Check that the 3rd row seat belts are secure in their holders. Also open up the cargo compartment behind the 3rd row and make sure nothing is rolling around in there.

Checked everything, even took out the tools and I still hear both the rattle from the 2nd roll and metal to metal when I hit those center dividers. It's pretty annoying.

Checked everything, even took out the tools and I still hear both the rattle from the 2nd roll and metal to metal when I hit those center dividers. It's pretty annoying.

First, I think you mean 2nd row* not roll, and second, if you would hit the center dividers, your CX-9 would have more than a little rattle...it would be toast, you mean the lane dividers.

Check if the rattle you hear in the 2nd ROW is coming from the center armrest/cup-holder. If so, there is a TSB for that here:http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/cx-9/bulletin/09-033-07-1853.pdf

First, I think you mean 2nd row* not roll, and second, if you would hit the center dividers, your CX-9 would have more than a little rattle...it would be toast, you mean the lane dividers.

Check if the rattle you hear in the 2nd ROW is coming from the center armrest/cup-holder. If so, there is a TSB for that here:http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/cx-9/bulletin/09-033-07-1853.pdf

Okay, I'll check on that. And thanks for correcting my grammar, it's been a long day........

Back