Wired LCD Rear View Mirror Cam Install

Outside view of the mounted camera, looks like it belongs there right?(yes) OEM look was my main objective and this one looks just like the other ones Ive seen. You really dont see it, but thats the whole point. I could have recessed it a little but that required more fabricating than I felt was worth the effort.

Attachments

• DSC06180.JPG
    DSC06180.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 785
  • DSC06181.JPG
    DSC06181.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 767
Last edited:
Very nice thread!

I see that the video shows up automatically when you put your car into reverse, I wonder if it would work with a manual transmission Mazda5?

Absolutely! I bet it would work using the same wire connections too since I did not see any distinction for AT or MT in the wiring diagrams.

Update on operation: I figured out how to line up the image so I can perfectly parallel park without checking the side mirrors to see how close I am :) Also got it rain tested, it seems to be unaffected by falling rain since its under the lip over the plate. After driving around a bit, I do notice some water spots on the camera image but it does not hinder the view much, and for parking assistance, it is unaffected completely.

Bottom line: I love this thing!

I know its weird but I rarely ever drive at night lately and I finally got a chance to check the night view. All I can say is WOW! Its like daytime in the camera! I really have to try to get some shots but I dont have much time at night since the kids are driving us crazy lately. Guess I should update the text on some of the pics too......

Real nice write up, great install and as you wanted it looks factory. The wife would like this mod.

No need my Premacy comes with both read and FRONT camera installed, pops right up on the venter LCD screen.

Good write up though.

Peace!(rei)

Well sure, anyone can just fly to Japan and buy a premacy and ship it home, whats so hard about that?! lol Front camera is really trick, first I've ever heard that was available. How does it know when to throw on the front camera?

Well sure, anyone can just fly to Japan and buy a premacy and ship it home, whats so hard about that?! lol Front camera is really trick, first I've ever heard that was available. How does it know when to throw on the front camera?

Ha ha ha, yeah easy, LOL! :)

Ah, and great question.

1) On the steering wheel, there is a button on the right side, top down view of a little car like icon, with a V in front of it, push that and ..ta-da!, front cam is now on. Now the cool thing is, safety in mind, it only displays the image on the dash "TV" if the car is going less than 3km an hr. So no you can't use it to drive down the road, :( BUT you can creep RIGHT up on someones ass in STAND STILL traffic so the guy/gal behind you can squeeze by, or pull up enough so someone can make a turn behind you, etc. Japan traffic gets tight :eek:

2) The really cool thing is the Red, and Yellow lines, on the TV screen, (like the rear camera has) that move when the steering wheel is turned in that direction, to show you, your danger zones and clear zones when pulling out of a parking space, backing in, etc. etc. They overcompensate for safety again, but it's great NOT having to turn your head to back up, and the rear one is like that FISH EYE camera like, just a little, so you can get a great range left and right.

3) If you push the button again, off it goes... but if after a long drive, you forgot that you'd used the camera before and you come to a stop, POP up comes the front camera and the kids, go awwwww! from the back seat, whoops movie interruption. Tee he.

Only takes a second to push the button and back to the movie. ... gee you know I should put up a video of that huh?

*Note to self, make video of camera system.

Peace!(rei)

Thanks twintrbo for posting this detailed install for back-up camera system. I am just about ready to do the same thing on my Mazda 5 and the procedure will be a huge help. I don't remember seeing anything on how to remove the OEM mirror and replace it with the Gentex, or running the wires in the little box panel the mirror base is attached to.

halve1

I don't remember seeing anything on how to remove the OEM mirror and replace it with the Gentex, or running the wires in the little box panel the mirror base is attached to.

Good catch, I guess I missed that part since it was the first thing I did. I put the Gentex mirror in there as soon as it arrived and did the rest weeks later. Based on your description, it sounds like you have a GT. I dont have any extra parts where the mirror is mounted. I just slid it right up, forcibly, and it came off. I think the right way is to get a tiny flathead screwdriver or small nail and stick it into a slot to disengage the locking mechanism for it.

If you have a GT with auto mirrors and wipers, you have that box to deal with. My touring didn't have that and one day I will order this to cover the wires: http://www.autoanything.com/mirrors/65A2827A0A0.aspx?kc=ffproduct It just hasnt bothered me enough to get it yet. As for the box, go here for some help with that: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ll-in-2008-MAZDA5-GT&highlight=install mirror

Good luck with the install!

The problem is the plastic box (GT) around the mirror base. It looks like it is in two halves that should come apart. When it is in place you can't slide the mirror base up to remove the mirror assembly. I don't want to mangle it - I would like to know the correct way to pry it off.

I just completed the installation of a Gentex 3.5" mirror and a Boyo license plate camera. Twintrbo had the right idea using the separate mount camera. The license plate camera is not any easier for two reasons. One the wire does not come out high enough. You either have to let it show or lower the plate by redrilling it. To use the hex bolts that come with the camera you have to cut off the plastic nubs inside the hatch and drill out the existing license plate metal mounts. This makes it theft proof, but you now have a potential water entry spot and you have to open the inside panel when you change plates. The Boyo wire harness has a unique connector so I ended up having to use most of it (two segments), and the last mirror plug segment from the Gentex. On the last (mirror) segment of the Boyo is a little push button. They don't explain what it is for. I thought I had to remove it and attach one of the wires to the Gentex trigger wire. Not required, apparently the mirror triggers the camera and you only need the video, 12v power and ground connected to the camera.

The plastic box around the mirror base is removed by putting a screwdriver between the mirror base and one side of the plastic housing and prying toward the side window. It pops right off in two pieces. You will notice now your new mirror is not made for the GT and will mount at least an inch higher because it does not have the vertical segment that holds up the rain sensor enclosure. The old mirror comes off by tapping up gently.

I just re-used the plastic box by cutting a notch in the back end for the extra wire and elongating the hole since the shaft of the new mirror passes through at an oblique angle. It does not show very much; you could close up the front of the hole if it bothers you with a piece of black plastic. I put some double sided foam tape on the sensing unit to hold the box in place.

I followed Twintrbo wiring routing exactly except I went from back to front. The toughest problem I encountered was snaking the wire around the hatch window. I drilled a new hole instead of using existing holes in the hatch, but had trouble getting the other end out by the rubber boot. The Boyo connector is very small in diameter, but is over 2" long and got hung up in the bend. You worry about damaging it when pulling.

I had the misfortune to tapping into the wrong trigger wire initially. There are at least two with that R/Y silver dot coding, but only one works.

The infamous white pin in the front pillar cover was a pain. I ended up prying the whole thing out and pressing it back while attached to the cover. Otherwise all the panels came off easy and went back with no problem. I have several not so good pictures which I will post separately.
halve1

Gentex 3.5" Back-up video install in GT

plate.JPGmirror.JPGview.JPG

HERE ARE SOME PIX THAT GO WITH MY LAST POST. The video is better than it appears in the picture. The trash can is only 6" away so it does make things appear much further away.

halve1

MORE PIX ON Gentex 3.5 video mirror

ORIGMAZDAmirrorR.jpgfinishedmirror.JPGmirrordrvrview.JPG
These photos show the finished mirror installed. The original Mazda GT mirror is also shown. On the Mazda mirror, note the vertical portion that lowers the mirror assy the thickness of the rain detector housing. The flange on this supports the housing. With the Gentex you need to support the housing another way.

halve1

Twintrbo had the right idea using the separate mount camera.

There are at least two with that R/Y silver dot coding, but only one works.

I chose the separate camera only because I wanted an OEM look. I figured there is a reason they build them into the cars the way they do, I guess this identifies the reason. It was really a leap of faith buying the camera part though, I had no idea what I was really getting. I hear stories of poor performance with lots of these rear cam installs. My neighbor bought a wireless setup that gave up after 6 months but you get what you pay for I guess.

There are a few of the wires you speak of in that cluster, they go to the actual reverse lights so either should have worked, not sure why it didn't. Glad you figured it out though.

How was wiring it back to front? I wish I had done it that way myself but I didn't think it through til it was too late, I didn't realize how much slack I would have left. I tied it up as neat as possible but I wish it was under the dash.

Back