Replace Coil Packs?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
How often do I need to change the coil packs. I haven't had any problems with the ones in the car right now. I have about 73,000mi on her right now and just wondering if I should change the coil paks when I change plugs and wires in a few weeks?

Advice from a high voltage engineer:

You will reduce the long term stresses on your coils and plug wires if you keep your sparkplugs properly gapped throughout the life of the plug. As the sparkplug gap opens up with age so does the output voltage of the coils go up. Insulation (in the coil or plug wires) lasts longer with lower voltages.

In other words change and gap your plugs to the recommended service intervals.

For those who are curious, the recommended spark plug gap according to page 01-50-3 of the service manual is 1.0 to 1.1mm (which is 0.040 to 0.043 inches).

i have 56k on mine and they're shot. so yea....you never know with these cars

Because if they go bad and cause misfires, they'll ruin your front cat in short order.

I replace mine every 90k miles, along with my spark plug wires.

I agree with this advice. Even if your coils are working fine now, when they fail your front cat will probably be destroyed by the time you figure out what is happening. A new front cat costs anywhere from $250-$1000 plus labor to install. Changing the coils every so often for ~$50 (?) is cheap insurance to avoid this.

Prophylaxis is the best medicine.

Nah. You will have notice (CEL) that you need to do it before the cat is ruined. IF you keep driving and ignore the CEL - yeah - you'll ruin the cat.

I took slavernz's advice. I had 100,000 miles when I replaced my coils. Replaced the wires and plugs at the same time too

I threw a CEL and it read random misfires. I was told it might be the MAF that has gone bad. I was wondering if it's the coil packs. Does anybody have a part number for the coil packs on an 03 P5? I really don't want to have to drop $250 on a MAF if its the coils that are bad.

... trying to figure out my ignition problem. so using old post on here. i replaced coil packs using auto zone ones, still having issues, it could be another issue (already replaced MAF, plugs and wires,also egr deleted) but i have heard that mazdas dont like after market plugs, for some reason oem mazda ones work better than the replicas. can anyone back this? or is it bs.. thanks!

I was PM'ing igidy for weeks trying to figure out why he kept throwing the misfire code. He replaced all kinds of stuff including both coils. He finally replaced his new drivers side coil with another one and that fixed it. (although by that time his pre-cat was dead).

Sometimes the coils are bad right out of the box and a bench test doesn't reveal the problem.
Maybe before spending hundreds more on different parts, another new coil for around $40 might be worth a try.

P.S. Check your EGR delete for a leak,... I remember reading about a guy who did the delete (with a block-off plate) and his car wasn't running right,... he just had to tighten up the bolts on the EGR.

Apparently, the best most reliable spark plug for our car is the ordinary NGK copper core plugs. The copper core conducts the best but does erode over time so you need to inspect the gap periodically.

Last edited:
Ok I'll look into it, I don't have egr plugged, just egr stock placement with it deleted from computer so it won't read codes and sensor unplugged just in case but I'll check it for leaks and I do want to try new coils but I need to know if there is a difference between autozone remakes own and real Mazda dealership own plugs. Thx for the info

Here's what the owners manual says about spark plugs. Mazda doesn't even make a plug for its own 1.6 liter engine.

Sparkplugs_zpsfd1256c1.jpg

Here's what the owners manual says about spark plugs. Mazda doesn't even make a plug for its own 1.6 liter engine.

Sparkplugs_zpsfd1256c1.jpg

If I went by Mazda's recommended gap my car would run like a turd. .028 copper NGK's. By the way, is there an aftermarket coil pack for our cars beside autozone chinese do do?

Back