Suspension washer mod writeup/impressions

I tried this on my front as my fronts were making nosie, most of the noise is gone but I still have small "thook thook" sound coming from driver side front suspension
Any more ideas on this?

I still hve that too. I thingk it's the sway bar bushings. Because I have new endlinks so I know it's not that. I'll let you know when I change them out.

Bump for a good write up.

Hey HKPro5, so did the washers in the rear get rid of MOST of the noise for you? Or did it make no diffference?

I had new endlinks and sway bar bushings installed when I had my struts/springs installed. So those are probably fine and this "washer mod" might be my best chance of getting rid of all that noise in the rear. Fortunately, my fronts make little to no noise.

OH this is good, I just finished putting the rear HP's in and had to disconnect the sway bar (hd to cut off links) and driving home I was so pissed off with this clunking noise all of a sudden. I'll have to try this. Thanks

Hey HKPro5, so did the washers in the rear get rid of MOST of the noise for you? Or did it make no diffference?

I had new endlinks and sway bar bushings installed when I had my struts/springs installed. So those are probably fine and this "washer mod" might be my best chance of getting rid of all that noise in the rear. Fortunately, my fronts make little to no noise.

Well my front sway bar bushings are gone so I really cant tell for the front. (its making too much noise...lol)

As for the rear everything sounds good back there. (I took off my rear sway bar lol)

i have no sway bars front or back lol. i had to cut the end links because there was no way in hell they were coming off, but i did this washer mod and no noise whatsoever.

So I'm guessing without this washer when the top mount is secured all the way it is still possible to push down on the mount and get that bit of slop right, so adding this washer would eliminate this, correct.

So I just spent a couple of hours putting washers on the back struts. Taking apart the trim and then putting it back together at the end was a hassle. Getting the nut off while trying to hold the large factory washer (or metallic piece as refered to earlier) was a pain.

I ended up putting 2 washers on each side. I just tightened the nut down as tight as I could - I don`t know if that`s going to be a problem because I didn`t follow any torque specs.

I took it out for a very short drive afterwards and I think I still hear the clanking...though less. I hope it`s tolerable now. I`ll give an update when I drive the car a bit more.

I may try this out, Im trying to sell my car and the only concern on the test drive was the clunk clunk going over rough pavement.. maybe this is the problem and its not something more involved in the suspension.

You guys also need to realize that a lowered car will make more noise because of the stiffer suspension components, that's just the nature of the beast. This mod however makes it more bearable.

I'm not 100% convinced it's just these washers that will eliminate the noise completely. I'm pulling mine apart on the weekend and install some rubber washers between the metal dust shield that contacts the upper mount and will add one stainless washer on top. Those little washers are pricey here, $1 each at Home Depot.

Last edited:
I added a second washer to the front and it quieted them down even more. I still need to do the back but I see that it's a pain.

My car lowered on TEIN S with stock struts was completely quiet, only until i put these HP's in sunday was there noise, I'm not joking my car was so quiet over roadways. So there is definitely something slightly different with Tokicos. A properly lowered vehicle will not have rattles just a firmer ride., just like anything its fine tuning and this thread is an excellent start.

Back