castrol high mileage=crappy mileage

Safe Zone Msp

:
E34 530IT, econocar
I recently changed my oil and decided to go with castrol high mileage. Idiotic mistake, I shouldve just poured it out on the lawn and driven another 3k on the old oil. My gas mileage dropped from a fairly consistant 32 mpg down to 26 at the lowest. Needless to say I changed back to synthetic, and my mpg immediately went back to 32. Whoops, that mistake will not be made again, but its just an fyi for yall.

Thad

I use castrol gtx ALLLLL the time and havn't noticed any down falls. However i dont' use the high mileage. OH and be careful with the synthetic. I know people will argue it all day on here, but synthetic oil DOES NOT break down like regular oil does which is not a good mixture for turbos. Just throwing that out there.

re-syn oil

hey pez what r u saying about syn oil & turbos ,come on pez syn oil is the best oil for a turbo car & all cars to that matter ,i am a saab master tech now for 10 years & most of our cars use syn oil from day one ,note we dont replace turbo at all for syn oil break down ,only a few people that use syn oil but never change there oil for years [sludge ] so do some more research on that one pez please LOL.

the problem is likely changing to a much thicker oil, conventional oil is thicker (for the same viscosity) by its nature, so it makes sense that it would result in lesser mileage. I don't know why anyone wouldn't run synthetic in an MSP though.

Back