Heres a new one (click if you dare)

mzspeed14.0

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
**scroll down for an update w/ photos**

hi friends, I have a question that has never been asked here. A few weeks ago my thermostat went on me. long story short, i have antifreeze in my Intake, IC piping, turbo, FMIC, MAF, and hopefully it stops there :-/ It runs fine, if i go into boost tho, i throw a code. Im already aware that its the antifreeze messing with the maf.. My question is, do i need to pull everything apart and clean it? Or is there an easier way like using seafoam? as always, your thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated! (rei)

Last edited:
How did you get coolant into the intake system? Did you blow the head gasket due to the thermo going out?

if the thermostat went out and he was running it hot hes got more to worry about than the gasket.....

i dont see how you could get coolant into your intake system....

if the thermostat went out and he was running it hot hes got more to worry about than the gasket.....

Captain%20Obvious%201%20DUH%20%20finished%20copy.jpg

coolant overflow reservoir had a crack in it, and was apparently too close to the intake, i have an SRI. head gasket is fine.

If thats the case take apart the entire intake system and clean it out. Now would be a good time to clean the MAF and filter while your at it.

Are you running a relocated MAF or stock location?

If thats the case take apart the entire intake system and clean it out. Now would be a good time to clean the MAF and filter while your at it.

Are you running a relocated MAF or stock location?

relocated. and already picked up a new filter and maf cleaner. advanced auto was tryin to sell the seafoam, sounds very interesting/ terrifying..

relocated. and already picked up a new filter and maf cleaner. advanced auto was tryin to sell the seafoam, sounds very interesting/ terrifying..

What seafoam terrifying...? nah, its actually pretty good stuff. I dont see how it will help with the anti-freeze issue.

yeah i would scrub out the intake and take off all the pipes and clean them good you dont want antifreeze in your intake manifold might **** something up bad

pull everything apart and clean out with degreaser. but make sure you use a non-clorinated one and one that will not leave a residue.

Pulling everything apart and putting it back together took just under 5 hours. Every single pipe and coupler was thoroughly cleaned. Shot a hose through the FMIC, the last pic is my secret drying technique. Also replaced the air filter, cleaned the MAF with maf cleaner, and checked the plugs to see if the antifreeze made it into the cylinders. Shes running perfect again, still not quite done with my tune tho. thanks again for your input!

cold side

hot side

FMIC + Blow dryer

Back