Taillight tinting-- has anyone done it?

Seriously...tinting the tailights a little bit is no big deal, but some members here think is childish...whatever go get your loofa scrub and facial.

Anyway, loghyc please report back to us or at least me with your tinting.

Haha Smoked tailights plus tint, plus smoked or black rims= Murderd out, which is amazing

retards

this thread is an example of the main reason why I stopped coming here... the "community" aspect is completely lacking. someone came here asking for help and gets flamed with others' OPINIONS, which is not what he asked for. one can respectfully state their opinion, even a strong one, but still maintain a 'brotherhood' approach instead of resorting to insults and a high-and-mighty attitude. like Davicho said, get back to your loofa scrub and facials. this forum would benefit from the addition of a moderator and the removal of one particular SportOwner.

I have modded my last 2 cars quite a bit, but always took a more conservative/classy approach, and I've always wanted to smoke my tail lights. I think the darker tails would look good on dark CX-9s, but would be too much contrast for the lighter colors.

my main concern is that doing so with the wrong materials will decrease light output, which I don't want to do. I believe there are some products that give the smoked appearance but with minimal impact to light output, but I don't know the name any - might be worth looking into though. the alternative is to change out the bulbs to ones that output more light to make up the difference (if the electrical can handle it), but w/the CX-9 that might be expensive given the number of lights, if it's even an option.

good luck with the mod, definitely report your results, and just ignore the b!tch3s who don't have any useful input to offer.

this thread is an example of the main reason why I stopped coming here... the "community" aspect is completely lacking. someone came here asking for help and gets flamed with others' OPINIONS, which is not what he asked for. one can respectfully state their opinion, even a strong one, but still maintain a 'brotherhood' approach instead of resorting to insults and a high-and-mighty attitude. like Davicho said, get back to your loofa scrub and facials. this forum would benefit from the addition of a moderator and the removal of one particular SportOwner.

I agree. If one does not like something another is doing to their 9, they should just STFU and keep it to themselves. IMHO tinting tail lights is dumb, but you won't find me ripping someone because they want to do it. The OP asked if anyone had done it--he didn't ask for anyone's opinon of it.

I have modded my last 2 cars quite a bit, but always took a more conservative/classy approach, and I've always wanted to smoke my tail lights. I think the darker tails would look good on dark CX-9s, but would be too much contrast for the lighter colors.

my main concern is that doing so with the wrong materials will decrease light output, which I don't want to do. I believe there are some products that give the smoked appearance but with minimal impact to light output, but I don't know the name any - might be worth looking into though. the alternative is to change out the bulbs to ones that output more light to make up the difference (if the electrical can handle it), but w/the CX-9 that might be expensive given the number of lights, if it's even an option.

good luck with the mod, definitely report your results, and just ignore the b!tch3s who don't have any useful input to offer.

Clandestine - agree 100%

I agree. If one does not like something another is doing to their 9, they should just STFU and keep it to themselves. IMHO tinting tail lights is dumb, but you won't find me ripping someone because they want to do it. The OP asked if anyone had done it--he didn't ask for anyone's opinon of it.

No one asked for your views on whether people can or should posts comments on internet forums either. If your feeling are hurt, instead of whining, maybe YOU should just STFU.

There are many personal style mods that can be done to any car. Some tasteful, some tacky. It's just personal preference, however anyone can comment about their personal preference to their hearts content. Purple lights and tinted taillights are different, they are a safety issue. Both are illegal, both are hazardous. Purple/blue light reduce the drivers forward vision dramatically while at the same time providing blinding glare to oncoming drivers. Tinted taillights reduce the effectiveness of brake lights.

I'll comment on the stupidity, immaturity and danger of these all I please.

No one asked for your views on whether people can or should posts comments on internet forums either. If your feeling are hurt, instead of whining, maybe YOU should just STFU.

There's a big difference between telling someone you don't like something, vs. calling it ricer crap or resorting to personal attacks.

With the exception of Ceric, I have provided as much useful information as anyone else on here, even taking my own CX9 apart just to better answer their questions.

We want to help people with genuine issues, not tell them how to crap out their family car because they smoked too much pot in high school and stunted their intellectual development. You talk about opinions, yet a select few, chosen by you, aren't entitled to theirs.

If you want to do something like smoke your taillights, and these are the only responses you get, that means no one here has any desire to do it, and therefore has no answer regarding the how-to. In that case, go to www.fart-can-forums.com, and ask them.

There is a community here. The problem for you is that it's a community of ADULTS who talk about their 7 passenger family cars, not their primered, wing sporting, fart can Civics. A community that you and other 'high schoolers' choose not to be a part of.
Stop whining and play with the adults for a change.

That's just my opinion...

for once I can appreciate how boringly predictable you are, thanks for proving my point and REALLY driving it home, not to mention completely misquoting me.

I am well aware that you are knowledgeable and that somewhere in between your flaming insults you've managed to help a few people, but how many people have you driven away from these forums with your insistent single-mindedness and vomiting negativity? I'd rather have the collective ideas and opinions of 10 less educated people with the right attitude than 1 expert who gets off on boosting his poor, fragile ego by slamming anyone who thinks slightly different than himself. the cost of your presence, simply put, far exceeds the benefits.

and don't kid yourself, this has nothing to do with smoked taillights, I wouldn't take issue if you limited it to this topic. just go into your own profile and search the last 100 threads you participated in. how many of those threads involve you bullying someone around? what a miserable human being you must be. what tremendous insecurities you must have that you are so compelled to cover them up. what a horrible life you must have that you have nothing better to do. and you talk about other people being childish, what a joke. you're only fooling yourself.

much like my ex-wife (who also has a personality disorder), I'm sure you'll insist on getting the last word in. more power to you, but I don't have a miserable life, and I do have better things to do with my time. my point's been made.

At least you got some discussion out of this topic and know what people think of the idea.

Had no one posted their thoughts, you'd be wondering why there are no responses.

sorry to bring this thread back to life as it was pretty entertaining towards the end but has anyone here tinted their tails with pics? Thanks.

I'm trying to find a spare set, so I can send them off to be tinted. I don't want to have any down time.

Tinting done right looks good.

photoshopped tinted tailights

sorry to bring this thread back to life as it was pretty entertaining towards the end but has anyone here tinted their tails with pics? Thanks.

I'm thinking about it; but before I mess up my car, I figure at least photoshop first to see how it will look.

I apologize upfront for the crude photoshop work, I am by no means a graphics art major :)

I would never completely blackout the lights (that's too much IMO and a cop magnet)
I would go with just a very light smoke tint.
hope this helps anyone out there thinking about it,

OEM VS SMOKE_.jpg

I don't know , after looking at the photoshopped tinting,
I think I'll just stick with OEM and leave it alone

anyway, for those still brave enough to do it, I think VHT Niteshades with wetsanding
is the way to go for the professional look(I think two coats is just enough tint w/o getting hassled by police) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK83cbrqdwU

it is possible to remove the VHT with Goof Off if you mess up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNhg4gdbk88

OR

if you don't want to mess with tinting you can buy the 2013/2014 CX-9 "tinted" OEM tail lights
and install it in prior year 2007-2012 models, I guarantee mechanically they are interchangeable
because I did it; but electrically, you'll have to swap out and splice the bulb sockets.

OEM tint lights.jpg

one drawback is 2013/2014 lilghts are not LED's just regular halogen bulbs.

Last edited:
Back