Problem with battery

skharrison

:
Mazda 6
After letting my 2009 Mazda 6 (with 8700 km) sit for 6 days, the battery died. Roadside assistance arrived and boosted it and then told me to let it run for half an hour. I did. Three hours later, I checked again and the car was fine (the proximity sensor worked). Two days later, same problem. After the first dead battery, I checked all lights, removed all potential draws of power etc just to make sure. I phoned assistance again and had it towed to the closest mazda dealer. They said that after boosting the battery and doing testing on both the battery and the electrical system, they could find no problem at all. They charged me $55 because even though it was under warranty, no parts were replaced and they had to charge something. I was unhappy but had no easy choice. The car was driven home and the battery was dead again 4 days later( no driving for 4 days). It has been towed back to the dealer and they have phoned Mazda tech support but still can't find a problem. They say that I should not let the vehicle set for so long. I don't think a week or less is a long time. What is happening. Why can't they figure it out and why have I had to pay for it. Right now, it is sitting at the dealer "waiting" for the battery to drain. What is going on? Help??

I have let a 2005 Nissan Altima and a 2005 Mazda 3 sit for several weeks and both cars started just fine. I don't think that I am being unreasonable to expect the battery to last much longer than four days for the vehicle.

How long have other owners of 09/10 6's let their car sit and been fine.

Thanks

Last edited:
The battery has been examined at the dealership twice now. I hope they check for this. When the problem first occured, I had a very simple look at he battery and it looked clean. Would the leaking not be obvious at least to the Mazda dealership after two inspections in which they said they checked it? Thanks for your help.

Stephen

problem w/battery

1st - sorry to hear this.
2nd - what engine, transmission and level do you have?

Some of us in the US with 09 4 cyl ww/manuals had battery problems very early (within days of delivery) - mine was replaced and I've had no problems since directly related to the battery. I do have a "hesitation" issue under light throttle which is still being diagnosed and at some points Mazda was indicating that the battery issue may have been related but still nothing definitive on this. Sounds like a short and I agree that you should be able to leave your car sitting for 4 days without it draining a new battery!! That's ridiculous.

I have let all of my vehicles sit for more than 3 weeks and no battery run-down.

They should be able to check the source of the drain with normal electrical test equipment. There will be some drain but it shouldn't be enough to run the battery down in 4 days.

Another test would be to remove the battery and let it sit for 4 days, if it's dead
replace it. If it's good the problem is in the car. Lots of trouble, yes, but if they are
working blind it may help.

Clifton

2002 Protege5
2002 Tacoma pickup
2008 Mazda 3'

Well, I give up. I have my car back. The mazda dealer can find no problem with the car. I am told that with all of the computers and sensors on this car, not to expect more than four days. My battery indicator light on the battery is yellow with red on either side, which to me says that there is a problem. It showed this at the dealership. They said that the battery tested within spec regardless. I asked to see another new Mazda 6 and this one had a green light, indicating good in general I guess. They did not care.

I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did they even offer you a new battery?

I HATE Mazda dealerships with a passion. Love my car, but if you saw what they did to my drain plug on a simple oil change, you wouldn't EVER let them touch your vehicles.

Demand a new battery. They are not that expensive.

No, a new battery was not offered because they said that their testing showed that the battery was fine. After being assured that eveythins is fine for the forth time, it died again after three days. It has now been returned to the dealer that I bought it from (further away) and they assure me that they will get to the bottom of the problem. Wait and see.

Stay tuned

The dealer that I purchased the car from has diagnosed the problem as a faulty battery. I can't believe it. A amazing discovery!!! I am still having problems getting my initial diagnostic fee back from the first dealship, After spending 5 days talking politely to the service manager, I have now contacted the owner and Mazda Canada directly. The owner has stated that

"We had actually already been in touch with Mazda about your situation. Please understand that if your battery warranted an exchange under Mazda's warranty guidelines, ****** Mazda would have done it for you. If another dealership wants to make that decision, it will be that dealership's business to deal with Mazda on that. ****** Mazda also worked with Mazda's tech line on your situation.

As no warrantable repair could be found, we are not in a position to refund you on the work that was performed at ****** as it was warranted at the time.

******* is still in touch with Mazda's tech line on your situation to see if the problem is something totally unrelated. If this is found to be true then ******* and Mazda will see what they can do for you.

Thank you for your patience in this matter."

Am I just being to demanding in asking for my orignial dianostic fee back. While this dealership could not officially find fault with the battery after three visits, another did shortly after. It was clear to them it was at fault.

We are told that we can bring our cars to any dealership for warranty work. It should not matter.

I now await the comments from Mazda Canada before taking this further. They have made my very angry and I feel that I have been taken advantage of. If I have to initiate legal action to get there attention on this matter, that will happen. I think they are hoping I will go away. I will not.

Any thoughts???

I think you are reasonable in your request for a refund on the diagnostic fee, especially since it was all still under warranty, but its' doubtful you will receive it. I would only use the dealer you purchased the car from in the future.

The problem continues

Now, a third battery had be installed. It was agreed that I would not pay for it, but it took a significant struggle and I think they just wanted me to go away. If my car sits for more than six days, the battery will be dead. That is not reasonable. I give up. All is lost. I hate my car. Good luck to all.

does canada have the "lemon law"? in the states, if a vehicle is taken in for the same repair more than three times without success, it is considered a lemon, and you have the legal right to "return" it.

I'm not sure the exact rules since i've never had to use it.

joe derkits

Now, a third battery had be installed. It was agreed that I would not pay for it, but it took a significant struggle and I think they just wanted me to go away. If my car sits for more than six days, the battery will be dead. That is not reasonable. I give up. All is lost. I hate my car. Good luck to all.

Did you ever figure this out...We have a customer with a 2008 cx9 with the same problem. Have replaced the battery 3 times. Sometimes you can leave the car set for several days and it will be ok and sometimes you can leave it sit overnight and bang.....the car is dead. We have had test equipment on it all day at times and it wont react unusual. We have all but given up and are looking to see if anyone else has ever figured this problem out...PLEASE HELP I can be reached at midasewing@comcast.net. THANK YOU !!!!!

Back