Funkytuqe's Mini Build

Thanks guys. I'm really having fun with this car. It's such a relief/release to finally do this stuff after owning it for 6-7 years!
I'm loving that MSP suspension, the 20% increase in stiffness and 0.75" drop has made the car feel quite different, now i just need to find some MSP sway bars on the cheap!

Worth mentioning is that i replaced the door lock actuators on the drivers front and rear door while we had the interior ripped apart. The front one was fairly easy to replace but the rear door was a b****, not much room to get hands in there, but i found a way. Man is it nice to use the keyless entry now after having the drivers door actuator broken for about one and a half years!

Mazdaspeed Protege pedal covers are in!! Thanks to Focus for supplying me with them.

Stereo017.jpg

My Mazdaspeed Protege Door sills arrived this week! These were an e-bay purchase, great deal and good condition. Damn these are sexy!

Stereo001.jpg

Stereo002.jpg

Stereo003.jpg

Finnaly i have some new fog lights. My original ones have been smashed in now for 3 years or so. Alberta roads are brutal here in the winter, so i did not really want to spend the $300 each for new ones from the dealer. So i found some used in good condition on the forum. A huge thanks to Balls, who sold them to me. He is a stand up guy, i had some issues with my Paypal during the purchase from him and he could have easily walked from the deal but he stuck with me. I finally was able to get him his money and he sent them to me and man are these in nice shape!!!

Stereo005.jpg

Here are my smashed up old original ones, this is what Alberta roads does to cars, too sad!!
Stereo008.jpg
Stereo007.jpg

This is my solution to the problem, this film is about 1/8" thick, made by 3M and supper durable (supposedly).
Stereo006.jpg

I cut it in circles to match the new lights
Stereo010.jpg

Put on the film and installed new bulbs.
Stereo011.jpg

Put these puppy's in and WOW, so nice to look at them after seeing smashed ones for so long!
Stereo012.jpg
Stereo013.jpg

Last edited:
The front lip is on!! Thanks to ProtegeCrazy (local guy) who supplied me with this. I will only be running this in the summer, it is a cheap fiberglass replica and likely wont make it through the winters here in one piece.

Ready for paint!
Stereo009.jpg

Installed and ready to roll .:cool:
Stereo016.jpg

Stereo015.jpg

I must say that the car has transformed quite a bit in the last 3 weeks since i first posted this thread. I am really enjoying this car, fell in love with it all over again.

man, nice...i'm going to start collecting items 1 at a time for my mods...this is inspiring stuff...lol

Thanks, that's the way to do it. I collected my mods over the last year or so, search around and there are deals to be had!

I replaced my coils and wires due to an intermittent misfire problem i was having, then detailed the engine bay. Here's a pic of my clean engine bay.

P5006.jpg

And here's a couple shots with my P5 and Mazdaspeed6

P5001.jpg

P5002.jpg

Great job on the sub box! Do you have any problems with interference coming thru the sub? Mine will "pulse" a bit with the engine revs. Doesn't hurt the sound or anything so I've just left it but can't figure out what's causing it. Could you give me some more details on your amps setup and how you installed and ran the wires?

Those are beauties! I wish I still had my MX-6 sometimes, I put a lot of work into it but sold it for my MS6! Your P5 engine bay looks sharp. *THUMBS UP*

Thanks guys.

No, i don't have any pulsing sub problems, it all works great. The sub amp is installed under the drivers seat. One thing to check is make sure the outside case of your sub amp is NOT touching the chassis of your car. It should only be grounded through the ground wire, if the heat sink is touching the Chassis (GND) too then you can end up with some weird ground loops and funny things happen.

Last edited:
A bit here and there, i need to post some recent pics. I sprayed the alluminum grille with black plasti dip as well as the front lip. Kind of gives it a different look. I don't think i have much else planned for this car other than just maintaining it, need to keep this ride economical for my commute to cochrane. I just went through some major spark problems this week though and fixed that with some new plug wires.

Back