jdm FS 2.0L engine (168 HP)

lucas123

Hi everyone, i heard a jdm fs 2.0 l engine, that generate 168 hp stock (manufacturing)

someone made the swap with this engine?

Greatings

It was the FS-ZE engine, had the special cams and ECU I believe that give it the extra power. I don't think anybody can get the ECU to work though.

JDM actually has 2 type FS-ZE by different year made. Therefore, it has 165HP and 170HP. You need the ECU in order to gain such power because the redline reaches upto 7200 or 7800 rpm. I forget exactly rpm, but its rpm is definately higher than FS-DE engine.

all statements thus far correct.

I'm pretty confident it was also higher compression. but I'll admit I may have that confused with the KL-ZE.

FS-ZE engine came with:
- Higher compression pistons (10.4:1 and 10.7:1 versions)
- Improved cams
- Different intake manifold
- Different exhaust header (4-2-1) too IIRC
- Rev limit of 7,200 rpm

FS-ZE engine came with:
- Improved cams
- Different exhaust header (4-2-1) too IIRC
- Rev limit of 7,200 rpm

Only the intake cam is different. I thought the 10.7:1 comp pistons were a Mazdaspeed product? I can't say with any certainty.

I found this high compression pistons, this give me more
power?, are 10.4 to 1 it sales on srmotorsports

http://www.srmotorsports.com/Mazda_Protege_Performance_Engine_Parts.html

Cam different? how is that?

Higher compression will yield more power. For an N/A build, higher compression pistons are a good starting point. Unfortunately, the FS-DE doesn't respond well to N/A mods without a lot of work. F/I will end up being cheaper & easier. Just be prepared to have a spare block handy.

Only the intake cam is different. I thought the 10.7:1 comp pistons were a Mazdaspeed product? I can't say with any certainty.

I'm pretty sure there's a j-spec IN cam & EX cam... I thought the fs-ze had them both.

I think that you might be right in that only the intake cam is different, but Im not a 100% either.

The 10.7:1 pistons were found in the Mazdaspeed BJ Familia I think. Other FS-ZE engine, such as those found in the Sport20, had the 10.4:1 pistons.

FS-ZE engine came with:
- Improved cams (intake and exhaust)
- Different exhaust header (4-2-1)
- Rev limit of 7,200 rpm
All of the above is correct (both cams), with the only thing not mentioned that I can think of being the 15lb flywheel. I'm not sure about the exact compression ratio though.

All of the above is correct (both cams), with the only thing not mentioned that I can think of being the 15lb flywheel. I'm not sure about the exact compression ratio though.

Just curious, whats the weight of our oem flywheel? Next spring I want to switch to the fidanza light weight since I am probly going to do another tranny swap again anyways.

Engine bay pic:

P1000044.jpg

Just curious, whats the weight of our oem flywheel? Next spring I want to switch to the fidanza light weight since I am probly going to do another tranny swap again anyways.
Never weighed it, but 23lbs AFAIK. The Fidanza is super light, but does have its drawbacks. Namely, engine braking doesn't really work anymore as the flywheel is too light. Also, acceleration is really a stop/go feeling in the sense that the car bucks a little when you blip the throttle...idling is also a small issue in the sense that the revs jump a little since the ECU doesn't understand why the flywheel is so light. Acceleration in the first couple of gears is always fun though :)

Never weighed it, but 23lbs AFAIK. The Fidanza is super light, but does have its drawbacks. Namely, engine braking doesn't really work anymore as the flywheel is too light. Also, acceleration is really a stop/go feeling in the sense that the car bucks a little when you blip the throttle...idling is also a small issue in the sense that the revs jump a little since the ECU doesn't understand why the flywheel is so light. Acceleration in the first couple of gears is always fun though :)

Ya, I'm pretty much over creature comforts in this car, lol. Next go mods will be lightweight flywheel & cams. Should have a fun throaty idle after those 2. ;) After that I'm pretty much done with go fast stuff. Just suspension and wheels then. No turbo for me.

Back