Center Console Customization

UKtheGREAT

:
2003.5 MSP
This is just a neat idea I came up with and thought I'd share it with the community. I'd like some feedback, whether negative or positive, and perhaps some more ideas. Currently, as you can see, the project isn't finished, but you can get a general idea as to how it will look.

I've toyed with the idea of making it out of carbon fiber rather than Fiberglass, but to tell you the truth, I like the silver. Anyways, here are the pictures. PS- This will be made for an HKS Type-0 Turbo timer.

Materials and prior to any work:
DSCN0596.jpg

After sanding:
DSCN0600.jpg

Another shot post-sanding:
DSCN0601.jpg

Mocked up housing:
DSCN0611.jpg

Another mock-up:
DSCN0612.jpg

Another:
DSCN0613.jpg

I think it'll turn out pretty cool. The mock-up isn't perfect, but it's getting there. This is after around 15 minutes since being done with the sanding process. Give me your thoughts!

it looks like a good start - have you checked the clearance for the timer there? oh wait i bet you have one of the new ones with the detached reader, dont you...

so youre applying the filler, then sand and paint? or is there more to the story

@Yudkib- Yeah, I've got the detached faceplate as pictured. I'm going to leave about 0.25" of clearance on each side, and off the top to allow for 2 layers of fiberglass plus resin. And as of now, I made the mock-up using Plastalina modeling clay. It's melting temperature is 180 degrees, and is non-reactive to resin. So, what the plan now is; get it shaped how I want, finish and smooth the clay, measure up the edges, straighten it up, apply the resin, fiberglass two layers of lightweight fiberglass, use some spot putty to fill in the pits, sand it down, refill, re-sand, final primer and then paint.

@Sleezer1533- Thanks! I will most certainly keep everyone updated on the progress. Dependent upon work, I'm hoping to have it finished and installed; sitting pretty next to the shift boot I just stitched up. ;)

i actually just used some plasticine-type modelling clay for the first time...
i made a mold fillet using clay and a popsicle stick radius tool. high tech stuff.

is this your first e-glass project? if not have you ever considered trying molded stuff?

I've glassed quite a handful of subwoofer enclosures, but nothing on this small a scale. And, I'm down to experiment with any ideas that may yield better results. Right now I'm just planning on doing it the way I know, draping the cloth and hoping I leave enough clearance for edges. I have some ideas for other mounting solutions, as I think A Pillars are played out and I like to be a little different. That will be my next project, after the down-pipe of course. On another note, I've never used a clay underlay when fiberglassing. Always a constructed frame or chicken wire for crazy style boxes. lol Let me in on what you know. :D

i havent done much clay-under-fiberglass, but for this i would imagine its perfect. the super-correct way to do it would be to outline the interior frame in something lightweight like balsawood and put it on stilts tacked to the part with resin, then cover it with nylon and pin it to the exterior points. then cover that in two coats of resin, let dry, and glass it.

another method i havent done, but have read about. more technically correct, but boardering on overkill.

Heheh I'll agree with that. Hopefully I'll get the clay all shaped up and prepped for glass today after work. I'll take some more pictures after it is ready for the glass. Also, I'll eventually get a matching HKS Boost Controller, and probably redo the bottom part of the center console to accommodate it as well. But, that's still iffy at the moment. May create a whole new housing / place for it. Still up in the air.

I really like where this is going, I might do this for my apexi turbo timer. Nice work man, can't wait to see the finished product. Are you gonna paint it back to factory or what?

Thanks! Yeah, going to paint it silver metallic flake, and see how that turns out. May have to paint the radio surround to match but I want it to look similar to the factory paint job.

Yeah, mine has a lot of scratches from the previous owner so I was trying to figure out what paint to use to restore it. Also about the mock up, where the clay is, are you sure it's going to work going under the piece. Like under the edge opposite of the cupholder side. It seems to me that the rubber part that goes around the boot would not fit correctly. But that's just from what the pictures show.

@Satyr36- Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions.

@Sanjay22- Yeah. I made that little ledge primarily because I wasn't sure how the clay would hold to plastic. I know it's a self-adhering clay, but seems that it only really likes to bond to itself. I left the lip there until I had the center shape exactly how I want it. I've still got to lower the clay a bit to account for 1/4" of fiberglass. Since the pictures, I have shaped it up overall, made the curves where I want them, and have done a little smoothing. Overall, very meticulous process without any kind of roller. So far things are coming along great. I will probably post quite a few more pictures this Friday, as it is the day before I start the fiberglassing and surface finishing. I'll keep everyone up to date, and I may even post a how-to when it comes to clay-molding with fiberglass if there are enough requests. (whistle)

I've been putting in lots of time at work, and haven't been able to work on the project as much as I'd like. But, it has been fiberglassed and sanded down, ready for filler.

Last edited:
Not over, just had other projects to contend with. Found a new filler, so this project will be underway once again soon!

Project underway again. This time, I have chosen to take a slightly different approach, as I have a spare console piece now I am no longer worried about hacking through my existing one. In the meantime, I managed to install the turbo timer brain, now awaiting hook-up from its face. Has anyone seen the threads on the TT install how-tos? lol...

In any case, new pics should be up tonight before I venture to bed.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. The console underwent its first round of primer last night, unfortunately.. my digital camera's battery life was and is still spent. (Never hooked it up last night) But, I'll be sure to grab a picture of it before any progress is made. Thanks again guys for your interest in the project.

Back