Towing w 07 GT AWD

SteveG66

Good Morning All,

I have a simple question, I hope.

I just purchased a pop up camper to take the family out and get them in touch with the great outdoors.

Our GT does not have the towing package, I have looked and can install myself a hitch receiver. We do not have a towing package on the CX.

I am concerned with:

Weight of camper is approx. 2300 lbs, tongue weight is 300ish. Should I be concerned, the towing capacity is 2000 lbs w/out the tow package?

Can I add the transmission cooler that the towing equipped models have? Or maybe improve what I have aftermarket?

I think the models with the towing package have a rating of 3500 lbs. If I remember correctly, there was a tweak to the shift points and a higher capacity cooler plus the appropriate receiver for the hitch.

I want to protect the transmission as much as possible and don't want to jeopardize the safety of my family.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve G

Last edited:
Steve66,
Here are the list of differences I know of
- larger capacity transmission cooler
- heavy duty radiator w/ dual fan control modules (all CX9s have dual fans)
- revised shifting program
- revised DSC (dynamic stability control for anit-swaying)

Certainly, you can add the first two items. The last two may not be so important if you drive carefully enough.
I am sure dealer can install the first two. Or, you could go aftermarket w/ the transmission cooler first. The transmission has a temp sensor. Once it detects over-heating, it shuts down the transmission. When it gets cooler, you can resume the trip.
Annoying? yes, but it is a built-in safety even w/o the heavy-duty cooler.

BTW, there is a TSB for improperly set (set too low) transmission temp threshold. If you have concerns, talk to your dealer. Search "Loss Power Climbing Hill CX9" on google.

Ceric,

Again to my rescue, Thanks.

As you can tell, I'm very concerned with cooking the transmission, they're not cheap.

I see that you have done extensive mods to your CX, could the shift points be done with the ScanGauge II-X?

I did google the Hill Climbing power loss, I will have to check with the dealer on that one.

Any other advice that you can share, certainly wont go unheeded.

Steve

CX Sportowner and Ceric,

Thanks for your help, I too will be looking at having a larger transcooler installed by the local shop. Has Mazda done anything with your transmission regarding the shutdown? Ceric had mentioned of a TSB regarding that issue, is one of yours part of that TSB?

I am going to contact my Mazda dealership and see if they will run that program once we get the camper.

Thanks again and safe motoring,
Steve

Ready to Tow!!!

Just to let you know, I was able to purchase online the hitch, wiring, brake controller from etrailers.com.

They were fairly quick and were helpful with any questions.

The hitch was pretty straight forward as was the wiring to the lights with the t-harness. The brake controller wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, the only problem was finding a spot for the breakers.

So far, so good... I will find out how I did with the brake controller when I pick up our camper on Friday.... Keep your fingers crossed.

BTW- For our 07 CX9, the cold side of the brake switch wire is green with a yellow tracer. Found that out from my local Mazda dealer-no cost!!!

Next will be a trans-cooler to make sure it's all good.

Thanks again for all that have made suggestions and been of help,

Steve

I don't understand why Mazda gives the CX9 such wimpy towing capacity figures. A 250hp 4500lb vehicle should have zero problem with a 2300lb pop up camper regardless of the Mazda legal department's insistence on a 2000lb tow rating. The Mercedes ML350 diesel cannot be substantially different from the CX9 if you consider that basic size and vehicle weight are the same yet the MB is rated to tow 7000lbs just by slapping a hitch on it. The gas MB is rated at 5000lbs which is where most of these vehicles should be. I think Mazda is FOS on this towing business.

You have to consider everything. Frame design and strength, engine torque (not hp), trans, trans cooling, cargo volume, etc.

Add them all up and Mazda felt 3500 was the maximum towing capacity for the car.

Who knows what the actual difference is though.

IMHO, it is a matter of marketing vs warranty.

Mazda can claim 4500lb if they are ready to take on warranty issue from some guys who actually do that a lot. For most owners, 2000lb-3500lb should be enough.
The tow rating is self regulated. Fed does not get involved on this, YET.

Back