p0401 code

sirjune

:
02 Mazda Protege 5
Hi,
my '02 protege5 had check engine light on. went to autozone and this p0401 code popped out. reading from this forum, my problem could be the EGR valve full of carbon deposits. Could that be it?

There are a lot of posts about cleaning it, but I don't know about repairing or cleaning any parts (just car wash). Could you recommend a shop or a mechanic who can fix this? I live in Troy, Michigan.

thanks,
sirjune

Since i don't know how to clean egr valve, I have to bring it inyo a dealership or if someone in my area would be willing to earn some extra to fix my p0401 issue, I'd be glad to discuss the details. I am at 48085.
Another issues I have in the car is the rpm. Runnng at 40mph the rpm is hutting @ 2000. Going up to > 60mph, rpm goes to 3000 and up. Shouldn't it be at least 2000rpm only at 60mph? Not sure if this is related to egr valve issue.

Thank you in advance for any tips, reply and recommendations.

./sirjune

Another issues I have in the car is the rpm. Runnng at 40mph the rpm is hutting @ 2000. Going up to > 60mph, rpm goes to 3000 and up. Shouldn't it be at least 2000rpm only at 60mph?

Is is manual or automatic? I have a manual and at about 100km/hr (about 60mph) I'm right around 3000 rpm in 5th gear. I don't think that's abnormal, it's just the way the transmission is designed.

Back