Noise Level - MS CAI vs Cobb SRI

needforspeed6

:
07 Mazdaspeed 6
I currently have a MS CAI installed on my MS6 and was considering getting a Cobb SRI or Corksport SRI to hopefully reduce the noise under acceleration. I am kind of getting tired of hearing the swoosh from my fender well every time I step on the gas. For those of you that have installed both, is the SRI quieter than the MS CAI? My car came with the MS CAI so would I need any parts from the stock air box to install the SRI? Let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:
you wont need any stock parts and it isn't much if any quieter. I had the mscai 2 years ago and went back to stock for over a year before installing the cobb sri

you have to decide what you want more.. a quiet or performance.. if you want quiet go back to stock

thanks guys for the input. I just thought if the sound was coming from the engine bay vs the fender well, if might muffle the sound a bit. I definately want performance, so maybe I will just stick with the MS CAI if sound between both is about the same.

thanks guys for the input. I just thought if the sound was coming from the engine bay vs the fender well, if might muffle the sound a bit. I definately want performance, so maybe I will just stick with the MS CAI if sound between both is about the same.

I went from the MSCAI to the Cobb SRI and it is definitely quieter and the sound you do hear is "different". The MSCAI is a long pipe and that's exactly what it sounds like. The Cobb SRI is a short extension of the MAF housing with a bell-shaped inlet to smooth the air. You can still here some "sucking" sounds of the airflow, but it is somehow smoother... If you are considering the switch, then go for it. You won't be disappointed...

srsly if you are 100% into sound deadening, stick with the stock airbox.
SRI is still noticeably louder than stock, being it is in the engine bay a slight bit quieter than CAI since the turbo spool sound doesnt have a bunch of metal piping to echo down. Personally, i LUV the sound the MSCAI makes. :)

basically what forzda said... lol i find i have to say that a lot with forzda around, lolz.

You will use one bolt from the stock airbox bracket and the 90* elbow that the breather hose connects to on the SRI, the MSCAI has it's own mounting stuff.

I went from MSCAI to SRI and it got a bit louder, but has different intensities based on throttle input. It's not as bad as you'd think.

the big factor is the filter.

i just swapped out my cobb filter for an amsoil replacement....much quieter. the spooling/sucking sound has decreased quite a bit

I made a video of the sound of a Cobb SRI, but I also have the TIP installed with an aftermarket BPV so it may not do too much justice. lol.

i have the perfect idea to solve your problem! loud music.. won't hear a thing coming from your fender or engine bay

im so opposite, since putting it in... i listen to music even LESS cause i always wanna hear the spool up since most of my driving is city driving. ROFL!!!

Back