Which All season tire?

aceblaster

:
2008 MazdaSpeed3
I'm still running the stop ms3 rims and need new tires. I'm currently running pirelli's but wanted to check around and see what is recommended from you guys.

The car is my everyday driver and I don't switch rims/tires for winter atm so I would like suggestions for all season tires.

I'm just getting 2 front tires.

Also keep in mind that I'm on a budget. I don't want to spend $200 a tire...

Thanks guys.

No. You don't wanna do two all seasons, and two summers. All seasons traction is already diminished over a summer tire in the summer, and in the winter, it's going to be less than a set of snows. All seasons are kind of the worst of both worlds. If you're really bent on only getting two tires, replace the pirelli fronts with the same set, and save some dough and wait for someone to offload a cheap set of steelies and winter meats.

I'm going to go with the Pirelli PZero Nero All Season. Tire rack has them $4 cheaper and the tread life is a tad bit longer too.

I'm going to have these for everything but snow. Have a set of stock rims (bent up) for the winter tires...

kumho ecsta ASX, they are great all seasons, had them in snow and they werent too bad
slid around a bit but that was on like 6in of snow and ice lol

ive had them on my stock rims and on my 17's, grip is good, tire wear is great, price is great
i highly recommend them

Goodyear Eagle Gts
Relatively cheap, Amazing tire on dry and wet, decent in snow, but with any all season not the greatest.
Like the other suggested, if you're buying 2 it's HIGHLY recommended that you buy all 4 and not mismatch especially with summer/all season

Depends on what you want.
Goodyear Eagle GT - best for rain and dry
Continental Extreme Contact DWS - Best all around with warranty
Khumo Ecsta LX platinum - Softer sidewall and quiet tread design with warranty

I personally have the Khumo LX platinum's, which aren't geared for performance as much but they are super-quiet tires with a massive tread life and warranty. Something I care more for these days than raw grip.

I'm going to go with the Pirelli PZero Nero All Season. Tire rack has them $4 cheaper and the tread life is a tad bit longer too.

I'm going to have these for everything but snow. Have a set of stock rims (bent up) for the winter tires...

+1. I went the same route for year-round use here in the Deep South. The Nero A/S are amazing in the wet and did great for the little sub-freezing weather we had in late winter. My stock tires were at 27,000 miles and had turned into banana peels at any temp below 40 degrees.

I'll soon be due for my first rotation and am very happy.

These tires give up a little dry grip at the absolute limit to a true soft compound summer only tire, but only a little bit. They should last a lot longer with a tread wear rating of 400! And they are quieter than the stock tires or most A/S.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=119

Last edited:
Personally I'm rocking the Goodyear Eagle GT's. Took them into some snow/ice during the winter vacation and slide a little but thats the nature of ice. I run these year round.. I dont like having a full set of tires sitting around for all but 4 months of the year.

I like my Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S-C's for winter...im not running them during the summer month's so I can't really give you any feedback on that part, but they ride well, are excellent in the snow and rain and handle good on the stock wheels w/ the 215-45's....I give them a B+ for all around tire.

thats the setup im running, stock rims for winter with 225/40 pzero nero M/S on them. they got me through the past two MI winters just fine and work pretty well in fall/spring too.

thats the setup im running, stock rims for winter with 225/40 pzero nero M/S on them. they got me through the past two MI winters just fine and work pretty well in fall/spring too.

Note that the M/S and the A/S versions of the P-Zero Nero's are NOT the same tire.

The A/S is a newer version with a revised tread pattern and different tread compound. Yes, they are both M-S rated, but be sure when buying that you get the latest version, as identified in the Tire Rack link on my earlier post. The earlier version tire is still being sold by many vendors with excess inventory. I'm sure the earlier version is a very good tire. The new one is improved, however.

I'm actually running Pzero 215/45 M/S right now... my back two tires are fine for the time being. Would it be smart just to get the same tires for the front then instead of switching to a different tire?

Three options if that is choice.
-buy 2 M/S tires.
-buy 2 A/S tires.
-buy 4 A/S tires.

Last edited:
I like my Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S-C's for winter...im not running them during the summer month's so I can't really give you any feedback on that part, but they ride well, are excellent in the snow and rain and handle good on the stock wheels w/ the 215-45's....I give them a B+ for all around tire.

Good information to hear. I bought mine primarily for summer/rain as I have a dedicated set of snow tires. I can say the A/S-C's are excellent in rain. Way, way better than the OEM tires ever were. They are much quieter too. The OEM tires got a lot louder as they wore down. Mine wore evenly too.

Personally I have the Kuhmo ASX and have not been impressed by them. They are good in wet but not great in dry. Obviously, I'm not expecting a extreme summer tire performance on dry but I'd like a little more out of an all season. I will try another tire next time.

I have the Kuhmo ASX as well and have to agree that they are pretty good in the snow, but now that great in dry.

I too need some new 235/40-18 for my new Rota G-force rims.

I'm actually running Pzero 215/45 M/S right now... my back two tires are fine for the time being. Would it be smart just to get the same tires for the front then instead of switching to a different tire?

Three options if that is choice.
-buy 2 M/S tires.
-buy 2 A/S tires.
-buy 4 A/S tires.

Option number 2. If it were me and I did not have the money for 4 new tires, I'd still upgrade to the A/S Neros on the front and then replace the others with A/S when they need it. You probably will not be able to get the M/S much longer, so why not stay ahead of the game with the newer tires. You'll end up with four A/S's just not all at the same time. My guess is that if you've been rotating them regularly, it won't be long before you have to bite the bullet and get two for the rear. But getting a few miles more on the rears is fine if the tread life is still there. I hate to be wasteful and also hate to fall behind the performance advances. That's just me.

Back