2009 Mazda 5 GT w/NAV and 6 disc changer

deichkorn

Hello. I have a 2009 mazda 5 GT w/built in navigation and the 6 disc changer. The navigation screen shows an option for "ipod" on the audio source screen but it's grayed out. I want to order the ipod intregration kit but the dealer has no knowledge of this part and how it works. A lot of postings online about the kit are from 2007 and the reviews were terrible. I'm guessing things have changed a bit for the 2009 model.

Has anyone installed the mazda ipod kit with the changer and navigation already present? Have you tried connecting an iphone to it? I don't expect the call audio - i use the built in bluetooth connector for that. I just wonder what I should expect on the lcd nav panel source screen after the kit is installed and how the lcd panel will operate the ipod controls.

I also wonder if I can install the kit myself? The nav panel doesn't look easy to remove.

Hello. I have a 2009 mazda 5 GT w/built in navigation and the 6 disc changer. The navigation screen shows an option for "ipod" on the audio source screen but it's grayed out. I want to order the ipod intregration kit but the dealer has no knowledge of this part and how it works. A lot of postings online about the kit are from 2007 and the reviews were terrible. I'm guessing things have changed a bit for the 2009 model.

Has anyone installed the mazda ipod kit with the changer and navigation already present? Have you tried connecting an iphone to it? I don't expect the call audio - i use the built in bluetooth connector for that. I just wonder what I should expect on the lcd nav panel source screen after the kit is installed and how the lcd panel will operate the ipod controls.

I also wonder if I can install the kit myself? The nav panel doesn't look easy to remove.

Sorry I don't have the link, but want to let you know there is a thread already started on this topic someplace here, so did not want you to think we were ignoring you. (wiggle)

Keep reading and use the search feature, some guys/gals around here are bettter at that, give it a day or two and I bet someone like venom or Dima will post ya link.

Now my .02 worth.

I have the ipod cable and it hooks into the "CPU" box down by my food, and runs under the carpet. It does not hook into the back of the stock stereo as I remember, I might be wrong from USA to Japan versions.

Anyone help this guy out?

Peace!(rei)

They improved the iPod feature greatly starting in 08, there is better control of the iPod from the stock head unit. There are instructions on how to remove the unit and install the iPod cable.

My understanding is that Navi models cannot have the iPod modules. If you find otherwise, please PM me. I gave up a long time ago. We just run ours through the stereo cable input.

EDIT: I just looked again and noticed that if you don't have the Sirius, then you can put the iPod module in. I value Sirius more than iPod so my system is stuck at navi and Sirius with no iPod integration. If you have navi and NO Sirius, then just buy the iPod module for the navi systems.

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-ipod-integration-module.html

Last edited:
My understanding is that Navi models cannot have the iPod modules. If you find otherwise, please PM me. I gave up a long time ago. We just run ours through the stereo cable input.

EDIT: I just looked again and noticed that if you don't have the Sirius, then you can put the iPod module in. I value Sirius more than iPod so my system is stuck at navi and Sirius with no iPod integration. If you have navi and NO Sirius, then just buy the iPod module for the navi systems.

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-ipod-integration-module.html

To the OP: Push back on your dealer.

It is absolutely possible to have iPod + Sirius on the factory Nav unit using the factory controls.

We bought our Mazda5 new and wanted to have the iPod+Sirius (along with the homelink mirror and overhead DVD) when we took delivery.

We've owned Mazdas in the past and did not want to pay through the nose after the fact (nor open up a brand new car and risk warranty issues). We negotiated the total price of the vehicle including all those accessories, and basically paid a discounted price for each accessory but the dealer included install.

There was a question on the use of the iPod with Sirius that required a call from our local dealer to Mazda corporate. The call was eventually escalated to the right person (that was a couple of days after the sale) who instructed the dealer on the process, which I believe included some sort of splitter.

Downsides on the iPod control: there's no obvious way to "jump" to a specific artist or album by letter - one has to scroll through pages and pages of lists, which is a bit of a let down. If anyone has info on how to use the iPod interface on the factory Mazda5 navigation system in a more efficient way, I'd love to hear from you.

Here's a quick vid I took this morning to show the interface; show this to your dealer as proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YLqYZz1Ijs

NOTE: if I had to do it ALL OVER AGAIN.... I'd do an aftermarket unit. The iPod control leaves a lot to be desired, and the navigation system controls are not intuitive (similar controls as our Subaru Tribeca, BTW - is Kenwood the OEM?)

Last edited:
^^^ I don't trust my dealer. I want to do it myself. Do you not know how they did it? Mazda splitter?

^^^ I don't trust my dealer. I want to do it myself. Do you not know how they did it? Mazda splitter?

It is indeed a splitter. But again, it took the dealer connection with corporate, plus a Master tech to get it all working.

Call Galpin Mazda in Santa Clarita - they should be quite familiar (rockon)

To the OP: Push back on your dealer.

It is absolutely possible to have iPod + Sirius on the factory Nav unit using the factory controls.

We bought our Mazda5 new and wanted to have the iPod+Sirius (along with the homelink mirror and overhead DVD) when we took delivery.

We've owned Mazdas in the past and did not want to pay through the nose after the fact (nor open up a brand new car and risk warranty issues). We negotiated the total price of the vehicle including all those accessories, and basically paid a discounted price for each accessory but the dealer included install.

There was a question on the use of the iPod with Sirius that required a call from our local dealer to Mazda corporate. The call was eventually escalated to the right person (that was a couple of days after the sale) who instructed the dealer on the process, which I believe included some sort of splitter.

Downsides on the iPod control: there's no obvious way to "jump" to a specific artist or album by letter - one has to scroll through pages and pages of lists, which is a bit of a let down. If anyone has info on how to use the iPod interface on the factory Mazda5 navigation system in a more efficient way, I'd love to hear from you.

Here's a quick vid I took this morning to show the interface; show this to your dealer as proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YLqYZz1Ijs

NOTE: if I had to do it ALL OVER AGAIN.... I'd do an aftermarket unit. The iPod control leaves a lot to be desired, and the navigation system controls are not intuitive (similar controls as our Subaru Tribeca, BTW - is Kenwood the OEM?)
Thanks for the reply - great information.
I tried to look at the video, but I think you've pulled it off you tube. Can you re-post it?

Back