Can I change the Idle on P5?

^really? You get ~10% from the TPS gauge on Torgue's dashboard with your foot off the pedal? I just checked 5 minutes ago after reading this...my TPS gauge shows 0% with throttle off, no matter what temp the engine is at...it drops to about .5% at throttle lift, then bounces around 0 to no more than .2% after a second or 2...

at WOT i get ~83%, which is also confusing...but that is common among different cars, as once the butterfly is pretty much flat, as much air is going to get in as possible...

neither of these readings change if the engine is on or off...its just without the engine running the TPS gauge drops to 0, then after 5 seconds or so it reads 'no data'...

I shouldn't say those TPS numbers are in a '%' though...its just that is the number spit out by the gauge...i can have it with a needle or a digital read out, etc...and either way my min is right on 0, and my max taps out around 83...

do i have something calibrated incorrectly? I know on the torque forums there are some calibrations you can do to set displayed outputs (apparently with a calibration you can set max to display 100), just haven't messed with it yet...I'm running Torque pro on an Xperia Ion with Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4, with a 'high speed' generic Elm 327 from amazon...not sure if that makes a difference...and i'm also on an Mp3 ecu...

EDIT: never mind, i found out what i had done...if you run a mpg log, I had a self calibration test enabled (which you can turn off if you want)...that correction test sets throttle position to zero as the baseline, so that you know zero means 'throttle off'...when i deleted that log, my TPS reading returned to 10.1% with nothing on the pedal...it also sets various other sensors at a 'test spec', like coolant temp and intake air temp...i was wondering why my IAT readings where giving -4 for a few days, when its nearly 50 outside...it was saying its '-4 from when i last logged miles per gallon'...so 4 degrees cooler than the log...

so i'm assuming, according to the TPS, the factory TPS location for idle is roughly 10% from completely shut...but you can mess with the way torque displays that output...

Last edited:
^Thanks for the post. I thought that 10% or less was right. Mine might be just a hair high. When I get some time I'll loosen the throttle cable just a touch and see if that fixes it.

^i may have spoke too soon haha...I reset my torque dashboard back to default (well i didn't, but the app did automaticlly when an update came through yesterday)...

now i can't get the TPS gauge to read anything but 0.0 at off throttle...regardless of if engine is running or not...i loaded up the big digital version of the gauge so it was easy to see while driving...wot gives around 80.6, no throttle gives 0.0...I started logs again to see if that is what had changed it, and this time it didn't go through a calibration mode as it did before...probably something to do with the update...

just out of curiosity what android version are you running? I know most popular apps have changes between OS versions that aren't really made public on the play store...it could be simple as that...

I'm running an old Droid X with 2.2 on it. I may need to double check these readings on my laptop or scantool...

ok...it may be a difference with operating systems then...i read on the torque forums that they did remove the calibration settings in the last update, so now a TPS position of 0.0 just means 'no throttle' input...not the very partial distance the TB is opened to maintain idle...overall it doesn't really matter, was just curious...

I checked it with the Torque app yesterday (Key on engine off.) Mine read 10.6-11% with my foot off the gas and about 86.7% with my foot to the floor. My readings my be slightly high because my throttle cable my be a little tighter than spec after my thermal spacer install. (I adjusted it but I recently read spec is 1-3mm play.) Due to the possiblility of my throttle cable being a little tight, I wanted to bench test some throttle bodies. All you need to do is unplug the TPS and ohm check it with the throttle closed, then adjust the screw until it reads right. I tried before work but forgot that our TPS has three pins; I'll have to double check which are the right ones to ohm between.
lol im still waiting for this info and the exact number my tps should read

so when I turn on the ignition of the car and put it into neutral. It should idle down to below 1k?

The car when I started it initially went to 3k then dropped to 1.5 and stayed there.. guess its a car I should avoid?

Sorry for the delay. Been sick and traveling. Installshield was right, my torque readings were off. My torque app get calibrated for my wife's car my mistake and was reading incorrectly on my car. Why a P5 would be so different from my MSP I don't know. I took a quick look for my scan tool but didn't see it last week. I should be able to get you some better values tonight.

so when I turn on the ignition of the car and put it into neutral. It should idle down to below 1k?

The car when I started it initially went to 3k then dropped to 1.5 and stayed there.. guess its a car I should avoid?

'stayed there' for how long?

factory idle is recorded by the FSM at 700 rpm + or - 50 rpm, so anywhere from 650 to 750 is deemed normal iirc...and the idle control of these cars will regularly use all of that margin haha...they're pretty known to be some of the more annoying cars as far as idle goes...

cold start idle is factored by ambient air temp...a very cold climate will push idle up to nearly 3k for 20 seconds or so, and it'll quickly settle to well under 2k...it won't fall below 1k until fully heated though...which is several minutes of actual driving if its really cold outside (it would take forever to idle up to operating temp if its a real winter temp outside)...i wouldn't be concerned unless you fully heated the car and it still stayed at 1500 rpm...if that was the case...yeah...something is not right...

ok ya.. I just waited 1min .. it was somewhat cold.... Guess I should drive it a bit before making a decision lols :(

Sorry for the delay. Been sick and traveling. Installshield was right, my torque readings were off. My torque app get calibrated for my wife's car my mistake and was reading incorrectly on my car. Why a P5 would be so different from my MSP I don't know. I took a quick look for my scan tool but didn't see it last week. I should be able to get you some better values tonight.
lol im still waiting sport please help a brother out n let me know so i can set mine accordingly.... but i still need to raise my idle a lil bit and when i changed the engine again i looked for another screw to adjust but didnt see one if anyone has a pic of the real idle adjust screw can u please post it?

Whoa. I thought I had replied to you before I got involved with the P5 timing belt.

I get 0 to 100% TPS on the P5 in Torque and on my stand alone scan tool. On the MSP I read 10 to 86% on both tools. I'm wondering if I have an issue on my MSP or if MSP's are just wierd. The best bet is to go with the factory service manual.

TPS Check.jpg

^^yeah that is weird...I am positive at one point torque was showing ~9% to 82% WOT, in my p5...but then the app was updated and a bunch of stuff was changed...and my logs were cleared before i backed anything up...and now its 0 to 99.9% no matter what...i can get that reading without the car even started...

but you're getting that number from another tool, right? definitely weird...could be just some weirdness with the obd-II port from time to time too...

I check with both torque and my innova scan tool. They both read the same. My P5 reads 0-100% but the MSP reads 10-86% on both tools.

I'm chasing a random misfire code on the P5 right now. When I'm done with that I'll ohm check the TPS on my MSP.

Back