Nextmod front grill for speed6 . . .

Just received my grill in the mail today.. It looks like the fitment is gonna be pretty good.. I have to wait til this weekend so I can drill the holes and line everything up correctly..

I'm gonna go ahead and pull off the oem grille but I don't exactly know how to do it minus taking the bolts off the top Boosted what is the best method without breaking anything?

I'm gonna go ahead and pull off the oem grille but I don't exactly know how to do it minus taking the bolts off the top Boosted what is the best method without breaking anything?

There's four clips behind the grill that you can't really get to from the front. Best way is to just take the bumper off, lay it on the grass/blanket, and remove the clips from there. I was hustling, and managed to break one of those clips anyways, lol. However, Qwik just undid the top four screws, and the OEM grill up, and off, and he only broke one tab as well... I shoulda done that. Taking the bumper off takes like 20 minutes... a little longer if it's your first time. There are 3 of these retarded plastic screw things in each wheel-well that can be a PITA to take off. There's also one small normal phillips screw under there that holds the top part of the bumper to the rest of the car, with a little white plastic thing it screws into. You have to pull the black plastic out a bit to get at it. The rest of the screws are all underneath iirc, and if you have a lift and a drill, it's cake. Have someone help hold the bumper as you slide one side off a few inches to unplug the fog lights and side marker (easy plugs..2 seconds). Then just pull it off. It's pita, but a good 'exercise' if you plan on doing an fmic later, because you'll have to take the bumper off then anyways (and the splitter, which is a b**** because there's a bunch of those dumb plastic expanding screws holding it to the bumper.

Someone else may have another method?

I got the grill off without taking the bumper off.. It was actually quite easy but I have long fingers too so it helped.. I pulled the top tabs out and then used both hands and my fingers to get in there were the four tabs are at the M logo.. It pulled right out and I didn't break a single tab one.. Kind of proud of myself considering I'm the king of break those plastic tabs haha..

I got the grill off without taking the bumper off.. It was actually quite easy but I have long fingers too so it helped.. I pulled the top tabs out and then used both hands and my fingers to get in there were the four tabs are at the M logo.. It pulled right out and I didn't break a single tab one.. Kind of proud of myself considering I'm the king of break those plastic tabs haha..

Haha, nice work! Another dude was saying how it did it that way, but my little carney hands didn't cut it, lol. Glad you got it out so easily!!

Thanks man. I took it off to see what I would have to do to my nextmod grill and I think its not going to need too much alteration to make it fit right. It may have a small gap on one side where the fiberglass lip on the back is a little off but other than that I think it should be okay.

I took a teaser shot to see what it would look like and I think its gonna look pretty sweet on the grey.

Thanks man. I took it off to see what I would have to do to my nextmod grill and I think its not going to need too much alteration to make it fit right. It may have a small gap on one side where the fiberglass lip on the back is a little off but other than that I think it should be okay.

I took a teaser shot to see what it would look like and I think its gonna look pretty sweet on the grey.

Oh, where the tabs you talking about on the sides of it? I have those two, but I didn't bother shaving them down so it fit perfect. Looks fine as it is, but I was busy and tight on time the day it went in, and I was sick of looking at the stocker! lol I thought you meant there was a tab on the bottom of the bottom lip??

Oh, where the tabs you talking about on the sides of it? I have those two, but I didn't bother shaving them down so it fit perfect. Looks fine as it is, but I was busy and tight on time the day it went in, and I was sick of looking at the stocker! lol I thought you meant there was a tab on the bottom of the bottom lip??

On the back of the grill there is a fiberglass lip that runs around the outter edge of the grill. On the right side of my grill the lip is shaved down to much and the lip won't catch on the piece of plastic sticking out from the bumper that the oem grill slides into. Its hard to explain without a picture and all I have is a crappy cell phone to take pics with.

Stole this pic from the thread in the how to about installing the grille..

DSC00369.jpg

But right there is where the grill should slide into and on my nextmod the right side of the grill doesnt have enough lip to catch right there so it creates a small gap on that side.

Stole this pic from the thread in the how to about installing the grille..

View attachment 167600

But right there is where the grill should slide into and on my nextmod the right side of the grill doesnt have enough lip to catch right there so it creates a small gap on that side.

Oh those... yeah, I needed to file about 1/8" inch into the grill where those tabs attach... I didn't, lol. If I had more time, I would have. Now the 3M tape is glued on, so it's not happening. Mine looks fine though (imo anyways, lol).

Yeah thats fresh out of the box.. I sprayed it with some flat black and put about 4 coats of clear coat on it.. I'm gonna see how that looks and if I don't like it then I'll spray it with some semi gloss and then clear it again before I actually put it on the car..

Well I just pulled the oem grill off again to finalize my nextmod one and I'll be danged if I didn't break a clip.. I'm pissed now but its okay..

But on a bright note here she is:

28386_515456425526_149500149_30558939_2915413_n.jpg

looking good man.. i knew youd break a clip for sure :).. but dont sweat it we've all done it.. well atleast the ones that have put on the badgeless grille.

Back