Trailer Hitch??

Have you guys ever thought of putting a trailer hitch behind your speed? I'm thinking about it since I have a nice trailer with 2 dirt bikes id like to tow around. wondering if any hidden hitch fits good or ill have to cut the bumber or something?

not a good idea imho. These cars can barely pull themselves when the ac is on much less anymore weight.

There was another thread on this, I don't remember who's it was though. But a lot of people were saying if you car is in good running order that a trailer would be alright, as long as you didn't go over 600 pounds.

Yeah i read that too but didnt they say some place in it that you would have to be very careful with pulling a trailer or something? Like making sure the weight is all distributed evenly so it doesnt put too much strain on any one part on the car.

Distributing the weight shouldn't make a difference, since it all gets pulled from one point anyway. I don't think a hitch on the MSP is a good idea. These things aren't meant for it.

Have you guys ever thought of putting a trailer hitch behind your speed? I'm thinking about it since I have a nice trailer with 2 dirt bikes id like to tow around. wondering if any hidden hitch fits good or ill have to cut the bumber or something?

That's worth a try. It's not impossible but I think a little bit dangerous.

i dont know why everyone hates on the msp.. it has its problems.. but ive driven many cars, and mine is one of the fastest..

i dont know why everyone hates on the msp.. it has its problems.. but ive driven many cars, and mine is one of the fastest..

Noone is hating on the MSP. We are stating that it isn't meant to tow anything. How is that hating? Want to tow something, get a truck. Things like towing are factored into building a truck. The MSP, not so much.....

Her's a fun fact for you guys. The 2.0l 323 BJ (131hp) can legally pull a 1600kg (3525lbs) trailer in europe. Why should the turbocharged speed with 39hp more be any worse?

Horsepower isn't the only thing factored into towing capacity. Dragsters have 5000hp, so why don't they tow the trailer with all the extra parts, carts, etc??

Ever, see a Lamborghini towing a trailer down the highway? Right, wasn't built for it.

Horsepower isn't the only thing factored into towing capacity. Dragsters have 5000hp, so why don't they tow the trailer with all the extra parts, carts, etc??

Ever, see a Lamborghini towing a trailer down the highway? Right, wasn't built for it.

you mean like this...?

gallardo_and_chopper.jpg

17431.jpg

The main things the way I see it is torque, weight friction and braking capasity. A EDM 323 2.0 will probably outbreak a MSP, but it weighs more and has more torque than a standard N/A 2.0, so I still don't see the problem. (with the exception for the Mazdaspeed added LSD)

... and Yeah, I have seen a Lambo pull a trailer - on the Autobahn no less.

Nice picture StealthWyvren!

There was another thread on this, I don't remember who's it was though. But a lot of people were saying if you car is in good running order that a trailer would be alright, as long as you didn't go over 600 pounds.

Lol, fine then, I rest my case. Put a hitch on! Not my car, so it's not my problem.

I did it just to be a smartass is all. lol Personally if its 600 lbs or less then go for it just as long as your car isnt full of 4 people at the same time.

Think about it. The protege is a 4 person car. Whats the average weight of 3 people plus a trunk full of random carp? IE camping gear or whatever. I know 3 of me is 540lbs. Then you add cargo on top of that and im sure your over 600lbs. Not to metnion im a skinny fucker as my friends call me. lol

Also dirt bikes don't weigh no where near as much as street bikes. I wound go as far and say the average dirt bike is 150-250lbs

My MSP came with a hitch. Its pretty small and it says that it is rated for 2000lbs. I don't see why the msp couldn't tow at least half that without a problem. I mean, 4 people could weigh 1000lbs in the car easy.

The only thing I would worry about is the added "weight" on the back wheels when pulling the trailer, the msp seems to bottom out pretty easy with the stock suspension in the rear. A stiffer or taller spring would help.

Last edited:
Back