Front wheel bearings?

Tedster

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES
Do the Proteges have front wheel bearings? Do they ever need repacked or replaced? When would I know it needs it?

yes they do, they are pressed into the hub. just replaced my front right one yesterday. they will make a grinding noise almost like a flat tire sound when they go bad. in my case it also caused a lot of drag, squealing, and vibration

also thanks for giving me something to post about lol (since it's my first)

Last edited:
Cool, welcome.
Thanks for the info. So also if the bearings are bad, wouldnt the whole wheel and tire move if you raise the car up and try to move the tire back and forth, hands on top and bottom of tire?

sometimes.. that's a way to check but in my case there was no play or wiggle what so ever even checked with a dial indicator. my local shop checked for play also just before they changed it.. then asked if i was sure it was the bearing. turns out the inner race was cracked and the ball bearings totally dry. good thing it happened the day before i had an apt. to get my tires mounted on my new wheels. the shop only charged me for the mount and balance and $30 for the bearing. i checked a different shop with very reasonable prices and they wanted $160 just to change the bearing. if you did it yourself it'd probably cost ~$80 with bearing a someone to press it in. if you don't have any grinding noise don't worry about replacing them

Back