Transmission fluid change "How To"

hi guys i know this thread is old but i have an 2009 cx-9 GT and it has 35,000 miles. only maintenance I've done on it has been the air filter and battery. according to the owners manual I'm good. however should i be looking into replacing the transmission fluid and gasket if so were can i get the filter and gasket? The workshop manual only says to drain it using the drain plug. But ebay sells the filter kit. thanks.
s-l500.jpg

Great post, thank you! My transmission is acting sluggish lately and I'm only at 72,000 km. Going to replace the fluid soon with Valvoline MaxLife. Where do I drain it from? Anyone got a picture or link to the drain plug location?

Finally got around to rotating the tires/wheels and drained/refilled the trans fluid twice. Ended up just going to Toyota and buying T-IV fluid (same as JWS 3309, just different Toyota label on the bottle)
The first time, only 3.2qts drained out, and the second time less than 3, so thankfully I have some bottles to return to Toyota. I bought 10 and will be returning 3.
Fluid was dark brown at 59,600 miles. Drained it, re-filled it, drove it around the block, came home and did it again. Second time around was red, but darker than the new fluid, so changing it twice is a must for diy'ers.

I can't seem to get a good read on the dipstick.... the bottom notch is for cold and the top notch is for warm engine readings, but it seems to go all the way up the collar from the tube... will try in the morning to take another reading.

IMG_4040_zps1a34b46b.jpg

IMG_4042_zps4d606a13.jpg

IMG_4043_zps4cbfcd28.jpg

IMG_4044_zpsbfc83e83.jpg

Latest posts

Back