Transmission fluid change "How To"

WaxiP5

:
05 Legacy GT + 03 Protege5
Not really looking for a "how to" but for pics of drain plugs and fill holes (I assume the dipstick hole). Is the transfer case oil not shared with the tranny meaning I have to drain and fill separately? What about the diff?
Also, are there any special tools needed? My Subie needed a Torx T-70 to drain that I had to order online.

Thanks.

Yup! I am having my transmission "flushed" (for lack of a better term) today with 10 quarts of good ol' Toyota T-IV fluid, oil change and a car wash.

I doubt that flushing the transmission will be cheap.
The so-called transmission fluid change only implies drain and replace.

Flushing is certainly better, but more labor and fluid.
Make sure you get what you pay for.

Yes..I actually told my buddy that all I wanted was a simple evacuation of old fluid and replacement of brand spanking new T-IV which I provided. $35 inc. tax for 9 quarts of fluid and $35 for labor. Sometimes it pays to work at a dealership!

Transmission fluid evac. and fill complete. It took 11 quarts to do entire flush. Oil change was also done and replaced oil filter with a Motorcraft FL-400S. Final total including any taxes $99.82

I'll probably just top off the tranny fluid. Does the manual say replace fluid every x miles?

Does anyone have the service manual for the CX-9? I am interesed in knowing the size and location of the tubing that returns the tranmission fluid from the radiator to the transmission on a 2010.

Flushes are nice and all, but the transmission filter (I assume there is one) should be replaced as well.

I will check with my local dealer.
My 30K is up. I plan to do
- oil change
- tranny fluid flush (maybe filter if possible)
- rear differential fluid change

My dealer said that it was somehow built-in and not replaceble. I had a hard time believing this.

Complete lie! I just had my tranny fluid flushed (suctioned and replaced) with a machine here at my work using a grand total of 11 quarts of Toyota T-IV transmission fluid.

My dealer said that it was somehow built-in and not replaceble. I had a hard time believing this.

Does anyone know that answer to this. Our next service we are supposed to have the transmission flushed so I asked about the filter and my dealer said the same thing. He said it's a metal filter now and doesn't need to be replaced.

There is a screen, and it does indeed have a part number. Go to the parts counter and have them look it up. Service people know nothing about cars. They read a manual and plug it into the computer once the start working on it.

There is a screen, and it does indeed have a part number. Go to the parts counter and have them look it up. Service people know nothing about cars. They read a manual and plug it into the computer once the start working on it.

I guess the question is since it's a screen is does it really need to be replaced or can they just clean the screen since it's metal?

Also, our dealer said at our next service (30K) we were due for a transmission flush, but I see nothing about that in the maintenance schedule, in fact I don't see anything on servicing the transmission in the service schedule so is he just trying to pump me for more $$$ or is it really required to stay in warranty?

Last edited:
Back