GI: isport CF rear diffuser project

Status
Not open for further replies.

i have a lip..... just not the 3.5 i was under the impression he was saying for those without lips not the regular 2003 lip it would fit

theres been no final word on the 03 lip, but like i said to outlawstar, if it fits the 03.5 and lipless i would think it fits the 03. it seems like the 03.5 is just the 03 with a little extra to make it more aggressive. generally, its easy to make something fit if portions of the lip arent there, but its much harder to make it fit if theres an obstruction, like the "extra" aggressive points on the 03.5.

confusing, but basically if they molded it on an 03 lip id wonder about it fitting the 03.5, but since they molded it on an 03.5 id expect it to fit the 03.

one of you 03 guys should volunteer as a compatibility mule, maybe theyll offer your a discount or give you a return policy option

Good point.............of course we will not start the mold until the six deposits are in, then we will get Drews car back here and the final measurements and fitting will be doned. If we had an 03 lip here it would be a lot easier. But if we had a profile to scale that would probably work too. We do want it to fit both lips. Anyone volunteering their lip will get a discount. Or a proile drawing that we can count on. Let us know. For those of you who want to see a final drawing with all the details, you might be waiting for awhile. We are going to build this very similar to the one we showed you. The only change is that it will conform to the front lip and or bumper. We wont really do much until we have the six deposits. We will get feedback at that time and make any reasonable alterations to the design. Two in and four to go.....

We wont really do much until we have the six deposits. We will get feedback at that time and make any reasonable alterations to the design. Two in and four to go.....

so i guess my idea for a cad drawing or something is out

We will do a final drawing, but we know generally what it will look like. Very similar to what you see in the pics we posted. Once we get the car back out here we will finalize all measurements, and when we get the profile of the 03 lip we will do the drawings. Will see what happens and if we do not get the required deposits we will refund to those who have sent one in. Thanks, Bob and Bryan

guys i think even a hand sketch with at least mounting details would do you well here. it doesnt have to be to scale, but just something to illustrate how it would clear the lip and would mount. sketch it up on a napkin haha

i also PM'ed a mystery guest who i think has both lips and might be able to shed some light on the situation.

No, I (Bryan) have been out of town all day today.

I drew something up in Autodesk Inventor, basically a rear diffuser needs to large enough to help move the air under the car efficiently out the back. But unfortunately to be a fully functional piece the underside of the car needs to be flat and the side skirts also need to "trap" the air under neath the car as well.
Also ride height is a big issue as well, in the case of a race car, lower is better. Also having a front splitter and a rear wing also determine the design the rear diffuser. that being said, lets make this thing look bad ass

Here are the very crude drawing of what it will look like. The fins will be more rounded, much more rounded. the kick up will extend out past the rear lip, and essentially the design will fit any lip and the stock bumper. I am thinking we will slot the diffuser so you can move it forward and back to how you like it. and also have longer and shorter bolts that raise/lower the rear to accommodate having a lip or no lip
diffuser3.jpg

diffuser2.jpg

diffuser1.jpg

looks like you may have the opportunity to market this to other vehicles with possibly changing mounting points as well too, so kudos there.

So who has sent there deposit so far?...

1- MSP03.5- deposit sent.(carbon fiber)
2-
3-
4-
5-
6-

So who has sent there deposit so far?...

1- MSP03.5- deposit sent.(carbon fiber)
2- Sandspeed (carbon fiber)
3- Outlawstar98 (carbon Fiber) 80.00$ Sent
4-
5-
6-

Hmm. If there is one made for the 03 rear lip ill be in. Whats the final price of the product?

We have been designing and exploring the various options regarding this project for the last couple days. Thank you all for the feedback (both informative and critical). We feel we have enough interest to continue, but we will wait until we have the vehicle here at our shop before we put the finishing touches on the final design and drawings for any and all of your feedback. We have decided we will sell the first ten for no more than $550.00. Depending on the final design, it might even be a little less. If you want it in fiberglass it will be less (but you will have to paint it). We are excited about starting this project and hope you will be satisfied with the results. We are still hoping we can produce a part that will accomodate both the ones with lips and ones without. Please do not attempt to send a deposit untill everything is finalized. Thanks, Bob and Bryan

THats for the carbon fiber one, But its about.

yeah, thats if it fits... If it doesnt, I can only hope to god that I can make it fit, or Focus makes the 2003.5 lip out of carbon fiber like I want it to be :p

After spending time looking at the undercarriage and taking measurements we have decided to do a four fin center diffuser. We are in the process of doing a detailed drawing, but ours would look like the apr one for the S2000. it will be a 4 fin design that is in the center only.

it will look like this:
P1012628.jpg

s2000_factory_body_rear_diffuser_(2)_copy.jpg

s2000_carbon_diffuser_copy.jpg

The APR one goes for $735 for carbon and $520 for fiberglass.

We will do $475 for carbon fiber and $375 for fiberglass for the first 10 we send out.

Once we get a 15% deposit from 6 people we will start the mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back